Solid Wall Insulation - Which Solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Hope you are all well.

I have been a long time viewer of the forums and had some great advice over the years, but the time has come for me to post my own query.

At the start of the year, I moved into a 1920's solid brick wall house. I am looking to insulate it as it can get a little chilly in winter. I have excluded the possibility of external insulation (until we have our extension at least which will be in a few years) as its quite a high cost. Therefore my only option is for internal insulation.

This is where my dilemma comes from. The 2 options I am looking at are insulation boards such as Kingspan or Celotex, vs a stud frame with rockwool insulation.

The front room will be done first, which will include floor insulation also (timber frame suspended floor). Anyway, after reading many, MANY post re: insulation - I am unfortunately none the wiser.

The plaster will be stripped back to bare brick and I will work from there. So, do I:

• Put a Vapour Layer up first, then a stud frame with Rockwool, finished off with plaster board
    • Will using the frame + rockwool leave enough space for ventilation (or is it not required in this circumstance?)
      • Any particular thickness I should be looking for?
OR
  • Glue / attach Celotex / Kingspan directly to the wall (provided they have an integral VL), and then plasterboard on top? Or will I still need some form of framing?
Which is the 2 is easier to work with? I assume it is rockwool?

Look forward to your response.

Cheers,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Rockwool roll or batting is pretty horrible stuff to work with. Have you looked at metal framing with insulated PB instead? Basically it is PB with a Cellotex type product bonded to the back. Needs airspace to the wall in most cases.

I have looked at the metal framing option (which is what seems most appropriate for the installation), and watched a video on youtube where it gets absolutely slated for being wrong so am still at a loss.

Every website I visit seems to offer different advice on do's and dont's.

After looking at the Celotex stuff, it seems to can be attached using dot and dab, which would leave no / minimal ventilation gap. This is the one point that's bothering me as I want to do it right first time. Some websites say include a Vapour Layer, some don't.

Has anyone here insulated solid bricks walls before, and if so used what?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
In my house the alcoves beside the chimney breasts are false walls. i.e. a stud wall built a few inches away from the original wall, with kingspan between the studs, then plasterboard on top. However, I also have external insulation on the same wall (gable end), so I don't know which thing makes the most difference!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back