Solid wood floor buckled? Is this a legitimate reason????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in sept 2014 I installed a solid oak floor into my kitchen. It was sold from homebase as suitable for kitchens. The floor that I laid onto was 50% tile and 50% wood planking (1930 house, probably original kitchen and dining room knocked into one room).

As per the instructions, the wood was acclimatised for a week, I laid a layer of 9mm ply across the whole area, then fibre board underlay followed by the 18mm solid oak flooring using metal clips and glue. I was careful to leave the required expansion gaps etc. I far I was concerned it was job done.

The following week a partner company to ikea installed the new kitchen over the flooring, with the plumbed in area all over the previously tiled area.

In January 2015 we started to notice the flooring swelling a bit and the occasional unexpained puddles coming from under the units around the plumbed area. We contacted ikea and asked for someone to come and investigate, asking specifically not for the partner company to be sent as we had been very unhappy with their level of professionalism.

Guess what, they sent the partner company. The guy looked at the problem for about an hour (while I looked after the kids), told me he couldn't find a problem and left. He then told ikea he thought it was a fault with the dishwasher. Electrolux came and found no problems. The following day the floor began to buckle upwards dramatically. Having filled the expansion gaps,expanding to the point where we had a ridge about 8 inches high running the length of the kitchen with the highest point originating in the plumbed part of the kitchen. Interestingly, after the guy from the partner company came the puddles stopped.

We told ikea to send somebody independent and impartial to look at the follow, which they arrange. He attended with a manager from the ikea store. However the "independent" floor guy let slip that he was contracted by the partner company, was basically not independent and impartial from the partner company.

ANYWAY, this guy gave the following explanation from why the floor had buckled .... Tile sweating. He said that because I had not screeded the tile floor the tiles had sweated causing the wood to buckle... remember the 8 inch high ridge!!! He used a crowbar and hammer to crack the flooring and level the ridge. Underneath the underlay was very very wet and the ply underneath was also wet. After removing the underlay the ply underneath dried quite quickly. They basically blamed me for the problem.

After that long rant (thanks if you got this far ) is tile sweating a likely cause for the moisture (sodden underlay) or is it more likely a leak etc that they have surreptitiously fixing. I can only find tile sweating as quite an obscure thing that happens in very humid conditions. Please help, I'd love to stick it to the MAN (Ikea and the partner company) as replacing the floor is going to be an expensive pain. :cry:

Sponsored Links
You had a leak, they've now fixed it, and any evidence of their wrongdoing is now conveniently gone :(

thanks simon - is that your professional opinion ;)

I'm looking for someone with flooring experience to back me on this (or tell me different - sometimes the truth hurts :( )

liquid on top can only come from above
sweating from underneath will never appear as water on top

did you pay with a credit card joint responsibility
accidental damage house insurance
but there fault in the first place

Sponsored Links
Was the kitchen fitted on top of the wood floor?
How could there be a expansion gap around the edges of the kitchen is on top.
Also does the old sub floor tiles have a damp proof membrane under it. If 1930s floor it won't have. So raising damp there would go straight into the plywood and over time cause it to rot. That's if you have raising damp under the tiles. But would take a long time to happen.

But does sound like there has been a leak which has caused the floor to expand a lot.

Tile sweating, ****ing lol, I do love some of the **** these people come up with....

Anyway in a more proffesional tone.....

Any expert could refute that explanation fairly simply. Tiles do not 'sweat' in our climate on floors. What he may refer to is condensation happening on a cold moisture impervious surface, but that is unlikely, many many floors are stuck onto concrete surfaces which will be equally as cold and prone to condensation, but this doesnt happen.

Also if the floor is drying down, which again can be easily demonstrated, why are the tiles not sweating now??

You can complain to whoever, explaining the above, but you may find that unless you take them to court you may just continue to be fobbed off.

Also.....

NEVER LEAVE TRADESMEN ALONE WHEN THEY ARE INVESTIAGING A PROBLEM, ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING THEY DO!

Respectfully, why do people insist on fitting kitchen units on top of a floor that can be damaged by water damage. In a kitchen? A leak could occur at any time and not discovered for months causing permanent damage. It was doomed from the start.

I was careful to leave the required expansion gaps etc. I far I was concerned it was job done.

The following week a partner company to ikea installed the new kitchen over the flooring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back