Solid wood or Engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to put oak flooring in my dining area and run it straight into the kitchen as we are having one large room built. I am wondering if we could use solid oak as the Engineered floor does not seem to look as good. If we wipe any spills up straight away, what's the difference in having it fitted in the hallway?

Craig.

Sponsored Links
Solid and Engineered can look exactly the same, the difference is in the fitting. Engineered will be floated, solid should always be fully fixed to the subfloor, no matter if the instructions say it 'can; be floated, it's really not a good idea.

Generally, like for like, Solid is no harder wearing than an Engineered,

Engineered is far more stable.

Solid requires alot more floor prep than Engineered.

As for cleaning, spills etc, if a floor is ward, oiled etc it doesnt matter if it's solid or engineered, it will mark more easily than a laquered finish, which may look a little 'clean' but is easier to live with.

Based on the questions you have asked, I'd suggest going to a good independent flooring shop and asking them what they advise, and be VERY wary about buying 'blind' online.

Some good points to consider, Thanks for the reply, So a solid wood floor can be run from the dining area into the kitchen?

Solid and engineered could be run through in one, both floor types would be recommended to have a threshold in the doorway between the two if the areas genuinely are not open plan

Sponsored Links
Crazy, what finish skirting boards are you going to have, I don't know if I should have wood finish or paint white looking for tips/ideas

Not concerned re price as its not that bigger a room, just looking for what is the 'norm'

In that case, do you mind the skirting not matching through the house (some people don't like that)

Personally I really like coloured skirting in the right property/room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back