Solid wood shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about shelving.

I want to put up some solid wood shelves in the shallow alcove alongside my chimney, ideally a hardwood like oak, possibly (but not necessarily) floating. The dimensions are 110cm x 22cm, and I was thinking something nice and thick, maybe 3-4cm.

A cabinet maker has given me an extortionate-sounding quote so I'm thinking of doing the job myself, but I don't know where to start looking for somewhere that sells this thickness of shelf timber.

Has anyone else completed a similar project to this and/or know where I could find some oak for shelving like this? I'm based in south London.

Many thanks.....

Sponsored Links
When you say "floating" I assume you mean with no visible means of support at the ends and not extending the full width of the opening.

I have done this several times using steel dowel resin bonded into the wall with matching holes drilled into the back edge of the board at least 100mm deep.

For oak try South london Hardwoods they can supply small amounts either sawn or planed to size.

Jason

Oak 3 or 4 cm thick? You're not asking for much are you! If I wanted a shelf that looked like really thick oak I'd be thinking about a box construction. The top and bottom are oak faced ply/MDF while the front and sides are real oak. You have to rebate the oak frame or you will see the cut edges of the top and bottom which will spoil the whole thing.

The clever bit is in the fixing. The back of this hollow shelf can be any kind of wood because you don't see it. Use a good heavy piece and have more bits sticking out in front to take the weight. Screw this to the wall with large economy size screws. The rest of the shelf assembly slides on afterwards.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't call 30-40mm particularly thick, upto 75mm thick is easily available in kiln dried oak, thicker than that may be harder to find and a bit unstable. It can be had, these legs are ex200mm http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Furniture/?action=view&current=oaktable.jpg

Felix's method would work easier with a 50mm shelf made up of two layers of 19mm veneered board with a 12mm spacer between, a bit like this shelf, use 50mm iron on edging for the front edge saves all the hassel of visible joints

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/pittplace/?action=view&current=PICT0009.jpg

Jason

I contemplated the same thing last year, but after looking around the wood that was available, I noticed that there were some very good shelving kits available in DIY stores. So I opted for one of those, realising that the shelf would be covered with ornaments, books etc, so not too much of the surface would be seen on top or underneath, chiefly the shelf edge would be visible, particularly in an alcove, where it would not be very well lit.
We are quite pleased with it. It will not warp, and will not need regular polishing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back