Solid wood worktops - advice on cutting please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Getting a B&Q kitchen installed and the tops are solid steamed ash about 30-40 mm think. The design of the kitchen requires 4 corners to be rounded on an island unit and an undermout sink hole to be cut. It's not something I think an amateur can do.

Does anyone know of someone who could do this in the Northwest (St.Helens)? Or offer any advice on what to do with this?

Anything would be greatly appreciated, Miles

Sponsored Links
Hi, you need someone with a large router and a long straight router cutter with a following bearing which would run around a jig. They will probably make a jig from MDF if they don't already have one. This may help you to describe the job to someone but you are too far away from me to get me to do it. Good luck. P.S. You could jig saw the corners and then sand the result with coarse paper but you would need skill to make it look anywhere near as good as a routed finish - so long as the routing is always down with the grain and not against it. :)

As Bloggsy says, you can jigsaw the corners then sand down with increasingly smoother sandpaper. I have done this before on solid beech worktop. I used a belt sander to take the initial roughness from the jigsaw off though then used a sanding block and 120 grit, then 240, grit and finished it off with 340 grit paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back