Solid wooden flooring onto quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been repeated on other posts, I have had a look through and can't seem to find the best advice for my situation.

I have recently just bought a 1950's council house, down stairs i have quarry tiles acting as skirting boards (now removed) and after removing the carpets the same tiles underneath. I ideally would like to install a solid wooden floor through the lounge to the entrance hall (straight run through), the quarry tiles are just about level but ride up in places etc. I have read that wooden flooring should ideally be glued to concrete, however removing the quarry tiles would be time consuming and i am unsure of the damp proofing.

Any advice would be grateful? a friend suggested placing the boards on top of thick underlay without securing them down (floating floor i think).

PS. I presume laying the skirting after the floor has been layed would be best.

Sponsored Links
What are the measurements of the solid Oak boards you have? If many short lengths you should glue the floor down, not install floating.

How wide is the entrance between the two rooms you plan to run straight though into? Hallways have a different climate and therefore it is always best to install a threshold in between. You can line up your floorboards as if it runs straight through though.

What are the measurements of the solid Oak boards you have? If many short lengths you should glue the floor down, not install floating.

How wide is the entrance between the two rooms you plan to run straight though into? Hallways have a different climate and therefore it is always best to install a threshold in between. You can line up your floorboards as if it runs straight through though.

Thanks, the boards are approx 5" wide by 2m long and about 20mm thick. The entrance is standard door size about 70cm.

The size of the boards means you can install floating. You have to install a threshold in between the rooms though to prevent problems due to different "climates" in both rooms/areas.

Sponsored Links
You could lay your oak flooring as a floating floor (on dpm underlay) but i would advise a screed first to level out those tiles that have risen. Alternatively, a laytex screed followed by a liquid DPM www.f-ball.co.uk (F75 or F76) then glue your new flooring to that.

The size of the boards means you can install floating. You have to install a threshold in between the rooms though to prevent problems due to different "climates" in both rooms/areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back