Solution needed for Backsplash problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had our kitchen remodeled and decided to do part of the backsplash ourselves. It was a first time at tiling for both my husband and me. We only tiled the bottom half of the backsplash, keeping the existing 4" white porcelain tile on the top. To avoid having to make any cuts (especially around the electrical outlets) we chose a tiny 3/8" crystal glass blend mosaic tile (on mesh-backed sheets). The color choices in 3/8" glass tile are very slim, so to make the colors more complementary with our new granite countertops I painstakenly replaced about half of the tiles with different colors. 13 linear feet of them. Took me weeks of work in my spare time.

After the first mesh-backed tile section went up we immediately noticed the level of the glass tile wasn't flush with the existing porcelain tile on top. It was about 1/8" to 1/4" further in. We kick ourselves now for not stopping right then and there and adding additional substrate because it would have solved the problem we're faced with now. After grouting it really didn't look bad at all, as we created a bit of a bevel transition between the two surfaces. Our problem now is that the switch plate covers hang about 1/4" over the bottom glass tiles and there's an obvious gap between them. We're wracking our brains trying to find a solution, from filling the gaps with grout (making the covers virtually non removable), to finding some kind of strip to glue up along that edge to fill the void under the switch plate covers. Oh yeah, another option is to tear out the entire glass tile portion of the backsplash and start all over. NOT what we're leaning towards, obviously. We're hoping to find a solution that is a relatively easy fix. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Your advice is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back