bridging the gap - tiles on top of tiles! Please help!

Sponsored Links
If you heat the plastic up you can cut it with a butter knife - never mind a Stanley Knife.

You won't cut trim with a stanley knife. A diamond blade will make short work of it though.
get a dremel, just for this to try and right a wronged job
I have a dremel and it works well for removing bath sealing strips, but for tile trims, using a slitting blade in a dremel doesn't have the torque necessary to cut the trim at the back. The blade will cut fine at the surface, but at the depth necessary to cut through the whole strip.... it just won't work.

If you heat the plastic up you can cut it with a butter knife - never mind a Stanley Knife.
Balls - the plastic would firm up the instant you move the heat away. I expect better of you Joe... or is this part of one of your games?
I want to ask you a question. Why have you all of a sudden stopped frequenting the general discussion forum and started posting back in the tiling section?

Sponsored Links
Try it. You heat it, bend it and cut it. It doesn't have time to cool. Better still get someone else to play the heat on it while you cut it.

Oh and if I want to suggest good ideas to the folks in the tiling forum then I will. It's not your forum is it?

As far as the original problem goes I'd have tried heating the old edging strip with a heat gun until it became malleable so you can bend it up - then use a Stanley Knife to cut it off flush.

Try it. You heat it, bend it and cut it. It doesn't have time to cool.
You actually don't have a clue do you? You're just guessing.

Oh and if I want to suggest good ideas to the folks in the tiling forum then I will. It's not your forum is it?
Absolutely no it isn't - you're wholley entitled to say what you want on here. What I have a problem with is people that recommend a course of action and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Have you tried it? Well when you have and if you find it doesn't work then start your ranting. Until then - shut up.

A grinder is likely to snatch and crack tiles off. Stop posting. You are talking rubbish.

depends which dremel you have mr Gc mine will go up to 33000 rpm and would cut through with no worries at all

I have tried cutting trim with a stanley knife before yes, and it doesn't work.
You have no right to tell me to shut up and stop posting Joe, this isn't your forum. Or is it just that you're annoyed with me showing you to be a wind up merchant with nothing better to do?
I think what is certain from your posts is that you haven't tried it. What you can ascertain from my posts is that:
1. I have tried cutting trim with a stanley knife.
2. I have removed trim easily using a diamond blade in an angle grinder.

I'll ask again, why have you decided to come back to the tiling forum Joe after such a long time of being away? Why have you stopped posting in general discussion and started in here? Got bored with that section now? Too many people know you for what you actually are?

depends which dremel you have mr Gc mine will go up to 33000 rpm and would cut through with no worries at all
It's not the speed Jef, it's the torque. The fact that you need to cut the back of the trim means that you'd need to have at least 8mm of the slitting blade sunk in material that it's cutting and they just won't do it.

It's not the speed Jef, it's the torque. The fact that you need to cut the back of the trim means that you'd need to have at least 8mm of the slitting blade sunk in material that it's cutting and they just won't do it.

do'h yeah see exactly what you mean! i use mine on trims so i know its up to the job but never tried it in this situation, i tend to remove tiles and trims instead of trying to tile over them!!!

If you use an angle grinder, you can just cut into the middle of the rounded part of the trim at a 45° angle so that you're cutting downwards and away from the face of the tile - once you have cut through the back part of the trim, the rest will just pull straight off. Much easier than a hairdryer and a stanley knife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back