bridging the gap - tiles on top of tiles! Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, we have tiles around our kitchen that cover part of 2 walls (from the worktop upwards about 60cm). My husband and have just finished tiling on top of these existing ceramic tiles with glass mosaic tiles - which in itself was not a problem.

The problem lies with the fact that the existing tiles have a plastic beading running along the top and end edges which means that we now have a rather large gap to bridge between the front of our new tiles and the wall. We tried to remove the plastic beading in an inconspicuous place before we started but it was a nightmare so we decided to leave it and tile up to it.

We would like some sort of silver/metal beading which is L-shaped so we can stick the shorter bit to the wall and have the longer bit hanging down lust enough over the front of the new tiles so you can't see there's a gap.

This seemed a simple enough idea, but we can't find ANYTHING ANYWHERE that is suitable.

Has anyone got any ideas or know of where we can get what we're after??

Sponsored Links
I was working in a house just before Christmas, and the carpenter ( who also did the tiling),,, instead of using the usual plastic or metal edge bead,, finished off around the outside edge of the tiles, with a beautifuly shaped, small oak beading that he made/routed for the job, but it really did look very smart. I think that type of finish or similar, would look better than a plain "L" shaped piece of metal,,,, just a thought.

Roughcaster.

a perfect example of a cry for help when the job is bodged, ALWAYS remove the old tiles, what you gonna do in a few years time when you want it changed again? tile over again? an extra few hours removing the old and making good makes the difference in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Afraid I've got to say it, you should have removed the old tiles first; it'll always look like a DIY Sunday afternoon pigs ear!

Alright, alright, i get it - we should've knocked the old tiles off. Yes, we knew that but the house was built in 1860 and as you can imagine, the walls are anything but perfect. The previous owners obvioulsy tried their best to create an even surface with the tiles they put on.

I was simply asking for some specific advice, not to be condescended. There was no need for the comment you gave jefoss. Richard C - i didn't appreciate your comment either, considering you don't know what it looks like i find it funny you think you have the right to call the job a pigs ear!

Anyway, i'm not on here to make enemies. I'm a novice just looking to get a bit of advice not abuse. So thanks anyway to those who offered constructive advice. Roughcaster - i appreciate your idea - i might just do that.

Alright, alright, i get it - we should've knocked the old tiles off. Yes, we knew that but the house was built in 1860 and as you can imagine, the walls are anything but perfect.
So if you knew you should have taken them off, why didn’t you; it can create some remedial re-plastering work but then you could have made the perfect foundation for a decent tiling job. I’m all for folks having a go but if you’re going to do something, at least research it, do it sympathetically & do it right; even more so in such an old property with, no doubt, a lot of history. :cry:

Richard C - i didn't appreciate your comment either,
Suit yourself; but your being over sensitive & you know I’m right! ;)

considering you don't know what it looks like i find it funny you think you have the right to call the job a pigs ear!
It’s just a euphemism; having seen, had to rip out & make good similar "tiling projects" I can easily imagine exactly what it looks like!

Anyway, i'm not on here to make enemies. I'm a novice just looking to get a bit of advice not abuse.
Sorry you found it abusive, it wasn’t intended to be anything other than factual. Tiling over tiles is never a good idea; on a fully tiled end wall it won’t be seen but ½ tiling over existing tiles will always look like a DIY bodge.

Roughcaster - i appreciate your idea - i might just do that.
RC, as ever such a diplomat. ;)

RC, as ever such a diplomat.
;)

I know Rich'd that you never meant to offend Emily,,, you tell it as it is,, with great honesty,, and that's your style. You and Jefoss also know that i'm a firm believer in "not" tiling or plastering over existing tiles,, because of problems that can occur. In this case though, it was too late,,,, the deed was done, and so a suitable solution to this particular problem was looked for.
"Therefore,, after careful deliberation,,,,, there was no other option left open to me, than to recommend sentencing the offending tiles, to be surrounded,, totally,,, with an attractive, moulded, oak/hardwood beading,, with a further recommendation that it be tailor made/routered, giving the tiled edges a very neat, stylish look."..... Case adjourned :LOL:
It's now up to Emily,,, ;)

Roughcaster.

It's very easy to find fault. It's much more useful if you can suggest that the job would have been better if you'd have removed the tiles but still given a solution to the problem. You guys are giving the tiling section a bad name. Shame be on you. :p

emilym, you can get metal beading - that might help to disguise it. Here's some I did a while back. Don't worry about the wall paper - the customer was replacing that!

Alright, alright, i get it - we should've knocked the old tiles off. Yes, we knew that but the house was built in 1860 and as you can imagine, the walls are anything but perfect. The previous owners obvioulsy tried their best to create an even surface with the tiles they put on.

I was simply asking for some specific advice, not to be condescended. There was no need for the comment you gave jefoss. Richard C - i didn't appreciate your comment either, considering you don't know what it looks like i find it funny you think you have the right to call the job a pigs ear!

Anyway, i'm not on here to make enemies. I'm a novice just looking to get a bit of advice not abuse. So thanks anyway to those who offered constructive advice. Roughcaster - i appreciate your idea - i might just do that.

obviously the truth was painful, but if you come here for advice im sure we can all pretty it up by saying oh yes little lady its going to look perfect, just buy this and that, sorry there but no, if the old tiles are still on the wall - BODGE JOB - maybe not everyone shares my opinion but its true, you would have lost only a day or so by removing the tiles and replastering to make good, no matter how old the house is, age of house is never an excuse for not doing the job right, i do apologise if you thought i was being rude but my post was factual its a bodged job and then your crying it dont look right.

my advice is either re start the whole job or regret it every time you look at it.

You guys are forgetting that this is a DIY forum - and that is all. I've yet to knock a set of tiles off a wall without large chunks or even sheets of plaster falling off - then it's no longer a DIY job. The DIY sheds encourage tile over tile if sound so you can't blame people for following that advice. Chill out folks.

As far as the original problem goes I'd have tried heating the old edging strip with a heat gun until it became malleable so you can bend it up - then use a Stanley Knife to cut it off flush.

You guys are forgetting that this is a DIY forum - and that is all. I've yet to knock a set of tiles off a wall without large chunks or even sheets of plaster falling off - then it's no longer a DIY job. The DIY sheds encourage tile over tile if sound so you can't blame people for following that advice. Chill out folks.

As far as the original problem goes I'd have tried heating the old edging strip with a heat gun until it became malleable so you can bend it up - then use a Stanley Knife to cut it off flush.

and the reason that people come here are they are looking for sound advice, if they dont like that sound advice thats thier lookout.

The diy sheds advise tile on tile as they then try to con the buyer into thinking they have to buy the more expensive adhesive.

and just to finish can you honestly think that heating up a trim and moulding it to the wall is going to look good? get a grip joe

Why don't you read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote? I said heat the trim, bend it back AND CUT IT OFF WITH A STANLEY KNIFE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back