Solved:Banging/rattling Hotpoint aquarius

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint Aquarius WM64 washing machine that is about 5 yrs old now. After only a year it needed a new outer drum because the fixings for the bottom counter balance had come loose and had worn beyond repair. At the time it would make a rattling/banging noise during the spin cycle which got louder over the weeks. Now I have a similar noise and suspected the same problem had re-occured. Upon inspection I found that the bottom counter balance fixings are all tight as they should be, the upper counter balance is ok too. The drum bearings seem ok as there is no movement. The gas shocks seem ok but it's difficult to tell if they are weakened. I can't see any marks on the machine casing indicating any contact. This leaves me a bit stumped as to what the noise could be. The only option I think is to do a spin cycle with the top off to try and see what is happening, unless someone has any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have something trapped between inner and outer drums (assuming there is no noise when you spin the inner drum by hand)

My last AQUARIUS also started to bang on the spin cycle, I ignored it untill dents appeared on the right side of the casing. The damage was caused by the motor housing impacting. I suspected the gas
struts, but my brother in law said I should check the motor brushes,
they appeared ok but I changed them anyway and hey presto no bang.
The machine lasted another 2 years, anyhow please let me know how
you get on.

my washing machine was banging quite a lot getting progresivly worse
belive it or not the concrete weight had come loose :cry:
tightended it up ok :D :D

Sponsored Links
After checking again this weekend I found that the large fixing band that clamps the rubber door seal to the outer drum has come loose or broken. I will buy a new one and fit it asap. Suprised it hasnt leaked though!

Removed the old steel band today and found that it had rusted right through at the bottom. Looks like the door seal was/has leaked in the past and corroded it to failure. Bought a new one from the local suppliers (cost 10 pounds) and fitted it. The chap in the shop said that it was a regular accurance. Would've thought that some experts on here would have heard about this problem before! Still I guess we all learn new things every day.

in my experaince it was unusual for the band to go, the first complaint is it leaks, thats when you check the door seal, perhaps hp people call as soon as they notice anything. the other thing is if i was standing in front of it i would have found it within a minute, but its hard to describe everything on a forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back