Solvent weld/push fit waste: daft question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now, this might seem like a daft question but with what is at stake I want to make sure! :rolleyes:

I bought some 3m solvent weld wastepipes down at Wickes as I was having some big things delivered anyway and thought I would save getting them in the car.

I bought it thinking "white plastic pipe is white plastic pipe". Now I am going to buy fittings for it I want to make sure, can I use push fit and compression fit waste fittings on it, or am I consigned to solvent welding them? I have never done the solvent weld thing so would prefer to stick to purely mechanical solutions.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Now, this might seem like a daft question but with what is at stake I want to make sure! :rolleyes:

I bought some 3m solvent weld wastepipes down at Wickes as I was having some big things delivered anyway and thought I would save getting them in the car.

I bought it thinking "white plastic pipe is white plastic pipe". Now I am going to buy fittings for it I want to make sure, can I use push fit and compression fit waste fittings on it, or am I consigned to solvent welding them? I have never done the solvent weld thing so would prefer to stick to purely mechanical solutions.

If it's any comfort, this seems to be a common mistake. Anyway, you can use compression, but not pushfit - Compression can accomodate the size diference between pushfit and solvent-weld.

Glad I asked now, I would have felt a darn sight sillier with bathwater gushing out of my newly pushfitted joints, all over the floor! :LOL:

Thanks Sterose

sterose if you can't use ordinary white pipes on pushfit fittings then what type of white pipes are you supposed to use?

Sponsored Links
there are two types of "white pipe" dont know what they are , igues one is polypropelene, next time in your diy shed have a look, one "feels" softer than the other

If I remember rightly, I think one of them have a higher temperature rating.

Just read the labels on the pipes again, they say they are suitable for high temperature waste. Good thing really as they will be taking a washing machine waste, which twice a year during my service washes is going to be pretty toasty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back