Solving damp problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have acquired a house with a damp problem. Some time ago the floor was filled in with (I assume) concrete and 15mm bitumen/ash felt layed on top.

I think the concrete floor is bridging the existing slate dpc causing rising damp. Various injected dpc attempts have failed.

I am having an area where an old fire place was relayed with ash felt and the hall relayed too as it is very uneven.

What I'm thinking about is doing cutting out the edges of the concrete floor to lower than the slate dpc and filling it with ash felt too.

Does this sound like a good idea? or could there be some disadvantages I've not thought of?

Sponsored Links
are the walls cavity?if so this could be the reason why the numerous attempts of injection has failed,coz there blocked with crap and its bridging over the top.

The walls are 9" solid.

There is a another section where the slate DPC layer just is above the floor level. After a bit of investigation I discovered the slate DPC is only under the outer course of bricks. The inner course is normal mortar. This is allowing the moisture from the concrete floor to rise.

I'm just debating how easy it will be to insert a physical dpc into this level to meet the slate. It won't be perfect, but a lot better than now. Or are there any waterproof mortars I can use? I guess if mortar can be made waterproof by chemical injecting it, it can be made waterproof when mixing it too, however I struggling to find anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back