Rising damp...

How can it be trolling ? A valid suggestion that an iron pipe might be pinholed ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the help. It is in no way a deal breaker. The whole house needs decorating anyway, and the ceilings have been over-coated with polystyrene tiles so will need taking down and re-doing, so the damp is just another item on the list. My main worry is doing something that will make it worse long term, such as a chemical DPC if one is not needed.

The kitchen seemed ok but this is at the back of the house where the ground is well below the DPC, it is the front of the house that is the worse. I noticed the ground is actually breaching the DPC on one of the surveyors photos, so that is something I can at least sort quickly. The internal brick hall wall concerns me the most as I am not sure how it can get damp (although it is connected to the front wall). Looking at the positions of the external stop-cock and drains I can't see why a pipe would run under there, but once I am in the house I can strip back the flooring and plaster and figure it out!

Plus i have new limerick :D

"there might be a 1930's pipe leaking under the floor"
what? is that supposed to be helpful advice to the OP or some random leap at trolling or simple ignorance?

Don't leave any stone unturned! I moved into a 1930s house and luckily we had a plastic pipe, but 2 neighbours (houses also renovated) still had ancient iron pipes. Plus radiators, which thankfully are not leaking, but the plumbing looks pretty old and not exactly neat and tidy. So it would probably make sense to have a look at the water pipes under the house before more expensive work.

My tip though, as always, while you're renovating, add some good insulation.

silicone injections are not much good, but luckily there are a couple of things you can rely on.

It will not mend a leaking pipe or a broken drain

it will not lower ground levels or open up blocked ventilation.

Sponsored Links
your disturbed posts dont offend me in the least.
I'd never even noticed you before.

But i certainly seem to offend you.

what you've written is called a contradiction - a shooting yourself in the foot kind of thing.
Perhaps you will get some kind of help - i do hope so?

For the record can I say my comments were just a joke and not directed at anybody, the site manager wasn't really called that although the lads on site used to make the joke about him because when they asked him something he didn't always give them the answer - get it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what you've written is called a contradiction - a shooting yourself in the foot kind of thing.
Perhaps you will get some kind of help - i do hope so?
You're confusing this thread with another - there is no contradiction in my "pipe" statement.? Perhaps you could recommend help ? perhaps you could vinndicate your point.? I do hope so ?:notworthy:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back