rising damp on a single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have rising damp on an internal wall I was thinking of removing a bed of mortar section by section just above floor level and back filling with some type of waterproof raisin or mortar to create a DPC. is their anything on the market which i can buy?

Sponsored Links
my dad has done this using just normal dpc roll. you might need to take a few full bricks out at a time above but its easily done (depending on your span of brick work you want to do)

I know using a roll of normal DPC is an option. Dut do you know of anything i could use to create a DPC with the way i mentioned

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of removing a whole bed of mortar bit by bit and packing out with 2/3 steel bars to support each brick then filling gaps in with silicone or expending foam. What do you think of this idea?

Taking out three-brick alternate sections of a bed joint and inserting normal DPC is a standard way of doing this. Allow for 100mm overlaps too. I would ditch the steel bar idea.

The problem you will have, is this relies on the joint being at floor level, and there being no chance of any damp circumventing the DPC via skirting or plaster, or even moving sideways into the floor or screed

Safeguard dry rods? You just have to drill the holes, poke em in and repoint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back