What solutions can i use not to bridge a chemical DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My brothers bathroom ( Built 1900) which was an ex coal house is having the bathroom refitted. And the walls and floor tiled.

The floor is concrete and is going to be tanked as it has no integral DPC. One of the walls in the bathrooms is a shared wall with the neighbor and has damp due to rising from the ground. He is going to inject a DPC cream in the first available mortar line. ( basically one row of bricks above the floor level)

The question is as the wall will be tiled and we need to build out the removed plaster we do not want to bridge the DPC.

Which is the correct thing to do?

1. Run the tanking up and over the DPC? Then build out with mortar with added SBR?

2. Bridge the DPC with membrane ? Then build out with mortar with added SBR?

I have created a simple drawing to explain my self better

Sponsored Links
Take the plaster off back to the brickwork, recommended is 1m, I always go 1.2m from floor level, then using sand/cement 4:1 with a waterproofer, my preference is Sovereign, it has never let me down. Then give it a scratch coat followed by a finish coat, either tile on this or apply multi finish plaster.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for everyone's answers.

I have a few more thoughts/questions. As the wall is not damp any further than 300mm from the floor then could I leave the good plaster in situ?

Thanks
wayne

So you have damp 12" up the wall, it looks like you're going to have to tank the wall, by hacking off the old plaster and rendering as I said earlier will cure the problem, it's a lot easier to render a large area than a few inches at the bottom of the wall, hence take it 1200mm or 4ft for a good finish.

If you are getting a spread in to do the work, probably about £250 the price wont be any different for 1ft or 4ft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back