Some Advice About Floorboards and door frames.

26 Apr 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom

We have a Victorian Terrace (1880 ish) we have been here for 10 years and are looking to rent it out.. to do this Id like to sort some of the little jobs that we have been putting off.. I could do with some advice about what is involved in the work, how easy it is and how much it should cost (roughly) if we were to get some one in to do it.

Job 1. Some floorboards in the spare room have had (about 30 years ago) woodworm they are largley ok but are a little soft in places and there are a few dents in some corners which look unsightly when the carpert is down, ideally we want to replace these however there is a brick partition wall which sits ontop of some of them..

Job 2. None of our internal doors match so we want to replace them all with cheap moulded doors however they are all different sizes, the biggest issue that I can see is that 2 old doors are 25mm thick and one is 45mm thick (Standard doors now seem to be 35mm.. do we need a joiner to change the door frames on the thinner ones?
The 45mm one is a glazed door which needs replaced (Safety glass).

Any advice appreciated, I can post pics of the doors if needed (not floorboards as there are carpets down and furniture in the rooms at the moment)


Sponsored Links
Floorboards can be cut flush to wall and replaced.
If frames have door stops they can be removed and any size [thickness] door fitted.
you couls reglaze the door in laminated glass or the less attractive georgian wired which would save some cash....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links