Some basic questions about re varnishing wooden window ledge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have some very basic questions about re varnishing my living room and kitchen window ledges. These have become terrible looking from the kids using them as roads for toy cars!

I have attached a picture of the window ledge. I understand it'll be impossible to say exactly what colour has been used but I'm hoping someone can steer me in a rough direction of the basic colour ie is it rosewood?

Also, I have said varnishing but is this the right type of treatment I should use? I haven't done anything like this since school so not sure if it is a wood stain or something else I should be using?

Finally, ideally I would like to simply recover this section of the ledges. In practice though will I need to sand off the existing colour before doing this?

Thanks in advance
20170904_184925.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sand it back first, and see what the colour is underneath. It may be Rosewood, or a a similar type, or it may just be stained, but once you've got the colour, you can then decide if you're going to stain it, or varnish it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back