Some movement during extension work-ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If wedges were placed closer than "about 600cm" so that each wedge was adjacent to the next, then how would the process be different to using packing in one go?
As Ronny explains below, dry packing doesn't stress the beam. It just fills the gap. When you release the temp support the beam (and packing) becomes fully loaded and the whole lot deflects. You won't stop that deflection - it's just a question of how much. By pre-stressing the beam with wedges all deflection occurs before you pack - and therefore can't occur afterwards. In theory you could remove the temp support once you have wedged. It's just sensible to leave it in just in case you need to make adjustments. You will still get a small amount of live load deflection but most building materials can take a small amount with no problem.

Sponsored Links
wow it seems like there is to much guessing and not building by design how high do you think you can raise/jack/prop up before its to much it seems that you can push them up its when they come back down not to go lower than when they started i wish id have read this last week before i fitted my beam if every beam is going to bend in the middle or twist then theres no such thing as over spec on beams any who if i just jacked my house up with the use of stacks of acros and one end is on a pad stone and the other fixed to another massive beam which is suported at both ends by virtiicle steel beams you would need the luck of the irish or four rabbits feet and [paul danieals to design the height of connecting cleet if now its all about trying to deflect deflection with out knowing what it will be because those that should know dont fit them and those that fit them are taking a gamble

wow it seems like there is to much guessing and not building by design how high do you think you can raise/jack/prop up before its to much it seems that you can push them up its when they come back down not to go lower than when they started i wish id have read this last week before i fitted my beam if every beam is going to bend in the middle or twist then theres no such thing as over spec on beams any who if i just jacked my house up with the use of stacks of acros and one end is on a pad stone and the other fixed to another massive beam which is suported at both ends by virtiicle steel beams you would need the luck of the irish or four rabbits feet and [paul danieals to design the height of connecting cleet if now its all about trying to deflect deflection with out knowing what it will be because those that should know dont fit them and those that fit them are taking a gamble

Do you actually expect people to read that? Have you heard of a full stop??

Btw, have you seen how old that thread is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back