Foundation options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m looking to add a second floor extension above a previous ground floor extension but before paying for a structural engineer I want to understand what the options are regarding the existing foundations.

The ground floor extension with a pitched roof was built using the old single skin garage wall built in 1968. I’m assuming the foundations will not be deep enough for current regulations to add a 2nd floor extension.

I want to avoid knocking down the ground floor extension so wondering what the options are to support the old single skin wall so we can an extra storey.

I’m assuming underpinning is very intrusive and extensive but would it be possible to add some support steels?

Are they are other options?

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Yes but probably more cost effective and quicker to start again

The problem I have is the wall in question is right on our boundary and I doubt our neighbours will be too happy if we knock down :(

The problem I have is the wall in question is right on our boundary and I doubt our neighbours will be too happy if we knock down :(
A majority of the work will be done from the neighbours side. The scaffold will be present for a few weeks as well as all the muck and bullets that go with it.

Foundations can be rectified internally.

Sponsored Links
You'll likely need to build some piers off the existing wall to support beams across the extension for the new inner skin. Otherwise all should be good and you won't need to knock down completely.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back