Single skin wall, what foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am designing a garage extension with bedroom above. the neighbours are a bit funny so i would like to keep everything on my side of the party boundary. I propose a single skin brick wall at ground floor level to maximise space in garage. I then want to specify a lintel to support floor and inner leaf above. My question is about the foundation, is a trench fill acceptable to avoid the eccentric loading that would be placed on a strip foundation?

Sponsored Links
If you are spanning with a beam at first floor level, then the ground floor single skin wall is not doing much and so can be on a small foundation

But you are unlikely to get a lintel to span the length of a garage, so will either need two and a central pier (on a pad foundation), or a steel beam.

A beam will create a problem of how to cover it externally, [cavity] lintels may create a problem with uneven loading as presumably the ground floor wall will be under the external edge of the lintel

And trench fill and strip foundations are the same!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back