Some questions about wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added another socket to the garage (socket 2 as per diagrams):

avwo3JW.png

jZXxUwF.png

Now it was a big faff trying to re-wire a junction box (www.screwfix.com/p/20a-6-terminal-heavy-duty-junction-box-black/2195d) for four T&E. Is there a more elegant solution?

The remainder of the sockets in the utility room are on a different ring. But what if I wanted to add more sockets (probably another double socket on the wall opposite CSU)? Could I just take a spur off S3?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the circuit is suitable - MCB and cable size - (it's not a ring, is it?) then connect the yellow cable to S2, another cable S2 to S1 and then another S1 to S3 and keep going if you want more.

Assuming the circuit is suitable - MCB and cable size - (it's not a ring, is it?)
It's not a ring AFAIK (I've checked all three sockets). Sockets S1 and S3 were already installed when I move in. They have their own feed direct from the CSU.

I did wonder why the previous owners didn't have a radial circuit instead, which would have been simpler IMO.

It's not a ring AFAIK (I've checked all three sockets). Sockets S1 and S3 were already installed when I move in. They have their own feed direct from the CSU.
You said there was another ring.

I did wonder why the previous owners didn't have a radial circuit instead,
I know what you mean, but it is a radial .

Sponsored Links
You said there was another ring.
Apologies. Should have clarified. S1 is a single socket on the opposite side of the back wall of the garage (ie the utility room) and has a single T&E from the junction box. There are other sockets in the utility and kitchen but they all come off another feed and have their own fuse. The garage loop as above has its own fuse in the CSU too.

What rating is the protective device (MCB or fuse)?
Will have to double check.

That's fine then.

You will be limited to 16A total load on all the sockets but that shoulsn't be a problem as you have the other circuit.

If the cable is (normal) 2.5mm² you could replace with 20A (or 25A if made for your CU).

You will be limited to 16A total load on all the sockets but that shoulsn't be a problem as you have the other circuit.
The single socket has an American style fridge freezer but no idea how much it draws. The other garage sockets will be used for (when I get round to it) a mini-workshop. Most of my tools are cordless anyway. The most powerful appliance I have is a 2.1kW pressure washer so 9A at max.

If the cable is (normal) 2.5mm² you could replace with 20A (or 25A if made for your CU).
The T&E I used was Prysmian 2.5mm2. The T&E to the other sockets looked the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back