Some Questions On How To Load Software Onto New PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I now have collected all the bits and pieces for my new PC.

1. I have Win 7 which has both 32 & 64 bit versions in the box. Which do I install?

2. How can I carry over my e-mail address list (OE) and favourites list (IE)?

3. I want to install AVG onto the new system before it is linked up to the net. Can I just download it from a server, burn a CD and load it onto the new PC?

4. Do I need to install a firewall, or is the software that comes with Win 7 sufficient? If I need additional software, what would you go for?

5. When I do come to attach the router to the new PC, do I need to do anything else?

I understand I've landed you with a lot of questions! Any help would be fantastic. I'm not terribly confident in setting up a PC as I've not done it before.

I had planned to get someone to set it up, but he wants up to £120 to do it, so I thought I'd give it a go.
However, I don't want to begger things up, so if it's beyond me, I'll call in the guy who knows what he's doing!

Sponsored Links
I would guess you don't have a brand new all singing dancing PC so I would expect the 32 bit version is one to go for.

Connect up all including router when you install then it will likely auto set up all and you will have to do nothing as far as settings go.

If you are really worried about virus then unplug phone line from router however nearly every virus program has to down load latest definitions so does not really matter is loaded from internet or CD there will be a time when the PC is vulnerable so keep to trusted sites for first few hours until all updated.

In outlook express go to tools/options and Maintenance tag and click Store Folder this will then show Store Location note it and cancel. Go to where it said and copy whole file to CD or something then when re-installing you can load where you want and with same controls select it. Be careful on options or you can delete old store.

As to favourites on start select favourites and any entry then right click and select properties this will give two tabs and in general it will give the location in my case "E:\Documents and Settings\Eric.ERIC-DESKTOP\Favorites".

The rest I don't know I don't use Windows 7 although good reports may be an idea to go to Start/Settings/Network Connections and then click the Support Tab and copy down the dotted decimal numbers under IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. Likely it will do it all automatic but no harm having just in case.

Have you considered which browser you will be using? Your copy of Win7 will probably have the IE8 installer so you can get going with that, and install any other browser you wish to use, later.

1. If your motherboard supports 64bit and you have the processing power then install it. It is faster and better than 32bit.

2. What email setup are you going to use on the Win7 computer, Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird, or GMail?

Set up a Live Mail account, in any case, as it is handy to have a couple of email acounts.

Make a note of your OE setting on the XP computer because you will need them to set up [ur=http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/]Thunderbird[/url] if you are going to use it.

Instructions on how to transfer Outlook Express email to Windows 7 - Windows Live Mail
Once you have Live mail set up with your addresses you can export/import them into any other email account you want to use.

3. Download the AVG setup .exe on the XP computer and save to desktop, or a folder where you can find it. Plug a usb stick in and copy the setup .exe or drag it to the usb stick.
Plug that into the new computer and install from there BUT remember that it will want to go online immediately after installation to check for and down load updates.
See also, my suggestion in 5. below about MSE.

4. The Windows Firewall in Win 7 will do you for now so don't worry about it.

5. Connect the router to the PC by wire not wireless as soon as you have installed Win 7. Let it go online to register etc. If you have no AV installed to start with, don't worry about it, there is very little chance of anything getting onto the computer before you can install AVG and let it update. Remember, also that you will want a realtime antispyware program.
An alternative to AVG for you to consider for the moment is Microsoft Security Essentials which comes complete with antivirus and realtime antispyware software for free.

To load Win 7 simpley put the disk in the CD/DVD player and let the computer run. You may have to start the computer to get the drawer open then p[lace the disk in and see if it runs the CD. If not, leave the disk in and reboot the computer.

dave

Sponsored Links
dave, thanks.

I edited my last post, so you did not see the link to my new PC.

I'm not sure if the MB supports 64 bit, I'll have to contact ebuyer.

I have tried burning AVG 9.0 onto a CD rom, but to no avail. I'll try your method to a USB stick.

I was gonna use OE8, but does Win 7 support it?

Also I want the option of using either IE or Firefox.

as my last post explains, I am not running XP but ME, so it is ancient...!

Is you new computer a 'barebones' set with no operating system already on it?

Outlook express will not work on Win 7 that is why they introduced Windows Live mail.
Thunderbird works great in Win 7 but to transfer your adress book etc would be easier to use Windows Live Mail to start with then set up a Thunderbird account with your ISP afterwards. Thunderbird is very similar to Outlook Express and so you will find it just as easy to use and you just keep your old email address, so no problems notifying everyone.

You don't burn AVG to a CD, if you were going to do it that way you would burn the ISO file but not sure if ME suports an ISO burner.
Don't bother about an antivirus software until you have the new computer up and running.

Install Windows 7 and connect with a wired connection to your router.
As I said Windows 7 will want to go on line to register.
Open the browser and either download the AVG setup to your new computer and install it, or get the MSE that I mentioned above.
The Windows firewall will be suffitient protection from when you install until you get an AV running. Remember the antispyware too as you will need one.

Once you are running with Win7 and Internet Explore, you can download Firefox and set it up.

dave

For an internet browser, you may want to try google chrome. When I had my computer repaired the guy set chrome as my default browser. I'd only used IE up to that point , Now I wouldn't use IE unless I have to. Google Chrome is a lot more stable than IE.

Sponsored Links
Back