Network Connection to PC running Me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue...

If you've been following my inept exploits, you'll know I've hooked up a couple of PC's to a network.

I want to add a third. Looking in Networks, I found this hardware listed as being installed:

ASIX AX88172 USB2 to FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER.

& this following it:

TCP/IP -> ASIX AX88172 USB2 to FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER.

Yet on the rear of the PC is only an RJ45 jack for old dial-up modem.

Does the mention of USB mean that I have got a LAN connection, but need to connect to it via a USB socket?

Sponsored Links
Does the mention of USB mean that I have got a LAN connection, but need to connect to it via a USB socket?
It sounds like it (have no personal experience though!). If it is the case you will need to buy a USB router such as http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113929. Alternatively buy a cheap NIC and perhaps get a wider range to choose from

Before you commit to buying router you should check with supplier on suitability and their returns policy if not fit for the job.

Thanks, guys.

This PC is one that I'm linking to an existing router (I linked the other two to the same router with your & Softus' advice).

So I'll get a NIC and fit that in place of the existing dial-up modem card.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I've scrubbed all internet connection options from dial-up networking, as every time you press a key on that pc, the connect box appears. Arrrgh!!!

Bought a cheap NIC card from Mappo's. Will let you know what's what when I've fitted it.

Back