Some questions.

J

johnnojob

got plenty of time on my hands due to gordon brown and decided to decorate my spare room then rest of house.
just a few questions for the experts here.
1.i have filled and lined the walls with 1700 grade paper,all is ok there but the walls are still bumpy but 100% better. problem is (wickes trade matt)emulsion finish is like sand paper apperance in the dips.how can i get a decent finish in these dips currently using a 9 inch roller and medium pile.
i did notice the emulsion was drying really fast on the lining paper and emulsion dragging at times.
2.what are the best rollers and sleeves for emulsion,think i have a diy roller and sleeve.i have a wickes,selco and screwfix all local to me.
I am going to buy a decent site light soon and some decent tools.

thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
1. For small depressions I would use a fine surface filler first and rub down until smooth once dry.

2. My preference is for 12 Inch Sheepskin rollers. The hold the paint well, are easy to wash out, last a long time and even if they have a long pile provide a good finish. You should be able to get a good finish with cheap rollers but I find they are a bit more time consuming to use.

Hope that helps

Harry

Thin your paint and use a short pile roller. Thick paint and medium roller will leave bad stipple. (as you've found).

joe 90 yes its a stipple effect in patches so is it ok to dilute the next coat say by 25% and paint away with a medium pile sleeve on a 9 inch roller.
i have seen advertised 7 inch rollers,would this be better to get into the dips in my wall.

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
No don't thin it that much, just enough to make it go on without stipple. Usually 5 - 7%. Use a short pile sleeve and practice with it first. As you roll it out and your roller becomes drier you shouldn't see any stipple at all.

John.

Would it be possible for you to post a pic, if as you say the walls are lumpy and bumpy indicates bad prep. The use here of a short pile roller is the last thing you want.

The stipple effect you speak of is often caused by not spreading the paint out evenly and or applying to much pressure to the roller. Yet I will need to see it before I can offer you the advice you need.

PS. Sorry to here that the Brown man has given you the time to do it.

Dec.

sorry cannot post a photo took a few but they look all the same.
looking at the finished wall straight on its acceptable but looking at an angle the stipple really shows up.
the lining paper really soaked up the first coat so i think some areas the emulsion dragged or insufficient was applied.
is there a sleeve i can use on my roller to create a fairly uniform paint result.
used medium pile sleeve before new but maybe a diy type.

thanks again.

I've told you how to do it. If you want good results - try it.

You can sand the paint in the small depressions to flatten it. Try with 180g silicone carbide paper, preferably sterate coated to reduce clogging..

Alternatively use a wide filling knife and fill the depressions with a soft filler like Red Devil OneTime. You will have a different texture though so you will need to try create a slight stipple on the filled area to match the rest.

The level of suction should now be ok for you to use any quality medium pile roller ( I like the 9" Purdy rollers).

A short pile roller may or may not be suitable. They work best on flat surfaces and you might find that they wont apply any paint in the depressions (depending on the depressions). Ordinarily they will give the flattest finish.

thanks joe-90 and opps.

ok i will do one wall joe-90 style and one wall opps style,i have 2 more walls to decide at what to do,as the peppermint colour is really a dull green and not that nice,room seems like being inside kermit the frog.
her in doors suggests a feature wall,wall with window will be magnolia.
only because its cheap.

thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back