Some rads heating, most are not!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahoy Knowledgeable Peeps!

My Harp CH has worked perfectly for 30 years, I had the CH and boiler serviced last week, and I yesterday added Inhibitor to the header tank as I wasn't confident/had the equipment to administer it properly. Anyway, my logic (?!) suggested I bale water out of the header tank to a depth of around six inches before adding the inhibitor so that it would be more likely to enter the system.

A few groans from the pump for around an hour ensued before subsiding and only two rads seem to be heating up, the rest stone cold. I imagine I have disturbed the sediment which is now coursing through the pipes and causing blockages and i'll need a power flush?

If I'm very lucky will leaving the CH on maybe eventually clear itself? I live in hope. :)

Thanks in advance for any comments/help/advice guys and gals.

Yours,

OzBoy

Sponsored Links
Did you bale the mud out of the tank?

Did you drain any of the dirt out of the system? You will have to find the drain cock(s)

Do that first, then add a sludge-loosening chemical such asX400 when you refill it. That will loosen some of the sludge so you can drain it out.

If you have any sections that are fully blocked, the cleaning chemical will not circulate through them.

If you have the ability and the strength to take the radiators off and hose them through in the garden, this will remove some of the soft sludge.

DIY cleans are not as effective as a Powerflush, but at a cost of £15 for the chemical and a couple of hours of your time, worth a try.

Once the cleaner is circulating, open one rad in turn, with all the others turned off, this will encourage flow through the open one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back