Someone blowing in your direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes work with a gardener who always uses a blower and I'll rake up. He often blows the leaves or whatever right in my direction. He blows on roads, grass, patios and soil. Could I be breathing in bad dust? (No visible dust I'm the air.)

Sponsored Links
Yes, without a doubt you could be breathing in any number of pollutants, from dust, small insects, chemicals etc.

If you, (he), reads the instructions, it should state that it must not be pointed/aimed/directed at people or fragile objects.
Tell him to blow the bits away from you, preferably into an enclosed area, and then when he gathered a nice pile you will go in and you will rake them up.
If he refuses then refuse to work with/near him. You are entitled to be safely able to carry out your duties without fear of potentially future health problems happening.

I am just recovering from chronic bronchitis. Taken 3 months so far, currently on antibiotics and I am sure its from leaf blowing and the dust or bacteria lurking in the wet leaves.

Sponsored Links
Has the guy got his city and guilds?

If he hasn't got his "NPTC Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Handheld Leaf Blowers and Vacuums" then he is clearly a rogue.

Is there such a thing as good dust?
Gold dust, is Good dust.;)

Leaf blowers are just a nuisance, but i find it relaxing to rake up leaves and pile them up for composting. It's minimal mineral value but it all helps. Sometimes you'll find a hedgehog has made a nest and i'm always careful to avoid raking up any frogs that may be around. Slippery little suckers like to lurk under damp leaves. :mrgreen:

Maybe wear a dust mask when the blowers gets going, and all will be well with your world.(y)

Gonna text him this (he's a bossy idiot with anxiety and some sort of autism, when you challenge him on anything he starts getting stressed and shouting abuse.

This-

Alright mate, just been reading up on blower use-

If a blower is pointed in your direction (e.g. while raking up) without a doubt you could be breathing in any number of pollutants, from dust, small insects, chemicals etc.
On instructions, it should state that it must not be pointed/aimed/directed at people or fragile objects.
Need to blow the bits away from you, preferably into an enclosed area, and then when it's in a nice pile you will go in and you will rake them up.
This ensues we carry out our duties without fear of potentially future health problems happening.

Last edited:
Gold dust, is Good dust.;)

Leaf blowers are just a nuisance, but i find it relaxing to rake up leaves and pile them up for composting. It's minimal mineral value but it all helps. Sometimes you'll find a hedgehog has made a nest and i'm always careful to avoid raking up any frogs that may be around. Slippery little suckers like to lurk under damp leaves. :mrgreen:

Maybe wear a dust mask when the blowers gets going, and all will be well with your world.(y)
Might wear a mask. How about if you're holding the blower (it's pointing away from u)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back