Is it safer to vacuum than blow dust?

At work we have brushes and brooms banned.
You can only vacuum dust, using decent filters.
This was because of dust issues and air quality.
Although I guess it depends on the frequency of the dust
The dust is terrible in this underground parking lot. I wear a mask but still seem to get a sore throat that evening. It's only ten minutes blowing and sweeping though.

What vacs do you use?

Sponsored Links
Nilfisk something. I will check
They are whatever class is ok for asbestos

I can't believe there is a thread regarding sweeping up, I'm sure the next post would be "do you push or pull the broom?"
Actually AFAIK using blowers in indoor environments to clear dust and debris is a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act, assuming the OP is doing this professionally. Common sense has for years dictated that dust on floors should be damped down with water (spritzed) before sweeping up but that ideally it should be vacuumed up with an appropriate vacuum cleaner (which on construction sites means a class L or better, depending on the material). Either way a P2 or better face fitted mask is a must and I would commend the JSP Force 8 mask to the OP over disposable masks any day

And yes it is safer to vacuumproviding your vsc is adequate

Use a pressure washer and push all debris in a corner then sweep up the muddy mess.
No dust and cleaner floor.

Sponsored Links
Actually AFAIK using blowers in indoor environments to clear dust and debris is a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act, assuming the OP is doing this professionally. Common sense has for years dictated that dust on floors should be damped down with water (spritzed) before sweeping up but that ideally it should be vacuumed up with an appropriate vacuum cleaner (which on construction sites means a class L or better, depending on the material). Either way a P2 or better face fitted mask is a must and I would commend the JSP Force 8 mask to the OP over disposable masks any day

And yes it is safer to vacuumproviding your vsc is adequate

Thanks so much. Been doing this for ten minutes every week for three years. Got to stop it now. I'll hose down the whole area where leaves and consequently dust is too and suck it in with vac on either my stihl petrol vac/blower or use electric blower/vac.

That Billygoat is a newer version of mine - basically you can use the flexible hose for cleaning or the front scoop for broader sweeps....there's a plate on the bottom that is fixed for the former, removed for the latter. The front scoop can be lowered or lifted. The bag is huge and has a nylon zip which allows emptying.
It will pick up cans and bottles as well as twigs and they'll all be pulverised by the impeller below the engine.
It's a very effective machine but takes up a lot of storage space - if it can be justified then go for it! Mine hires well in the autumn but is generally a garage ornament for most of the year :(
The machine can tend to wander courtesy of its own inertia when using the flexy hose so I bought some wheelchair brakes from ebay and fixed them on.
John :)
Apparently Webb are bringing out a supreme walk behind vac with brush/ hose and scarier attachments £500. In Nov.

Makita already have a dual 18 volt cordless backpack vacuum which is being used for tasks like office, event, bus and train cleaning. It is an L-class tool

Makita already have a dual 18 volt cordless backpack vacuum which is being used for tasks like office, event, bus and train cleaning. It is an L-class tool
I'll look into it. I take it L class means very little dust is blown back out like in other vacs

Use a pressure washer and push all debris in a corner then sweep up the muddy mess.
No dust and cleaner floor.

Never a good idea to blast stuff into corners.
Even if you don't get it into your eyes, you'll end up getting mucky.
Poor practice.

No, I actually meant the DVC260/DVC261. In fact I do have a DVC750 which was bought to do clean-ups after snagging jobs on finished properties. Works quite well for that, and at a pinch will extract for a smaller cordless saw or the like, as well (Makita DHS680 in my case). I feel it might be to small for the task you have at hand, however

H class sounds great.
Just be careful what you wish for. For general use an L class and a P2 mask are often sufficient. When buying any industrial vacuum check the cost of replacement filter sets (many H class vacs have a double filter set and H ckass filters are not cheap as a rule)

I guess wetting the dust then vacuuming wouldn't work
You damp down when you intend to sweep up with a brush (try it), not vacuum up (water and damp materisls don't do much fot your filters). If you are vacuuming you shouldn't need to do this as the vacuum filters should be matched to the task at hand - and in any case you should be wearing a face fitted mask when doing it (and now we are back to the JSP Force 8......)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back