Sony 4K TV display replacement - should I try?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I have a Sony 55" 4K TV (Model No: KD-55X9305C) which I got a few years back. The screen is damaged at the top left where it looks like pressure was applied by the previous owner (forgot to take a picture before I took it down but there is a picture where the TV was in the background - see below). I have some downtime and decided I should try and repair the TV if possible.

I was looking on the net and it seems that it is possible to replace the screen (though it looks like it's going to be a task to get everything off!). My reference is this video:

I have opened the back panel and found lots of numbers on stickers - unfortunately none of them seem to point me to a replacement screen. I believe the Display type is LCD (based on Sony's website: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...s-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xd9305/specifications).

I have posted the pictures of the open back panel and all stickers I could find (happy to zoom into any section if required). Before I end up down a rabbit hole, I have the following questions:

1. Is it cost effective to replace the LCD screen?
2. What is the part of the replacement screen and where can I get it from

IMG_6256 (1).jpeg

TV image broken in the top left corner and lines going across

TV serials.png

Stickers that I could find

IMG_6609 (1).jpeg

Sponsored Links
If your hobby is one of carrying out such repairs, and you can pick up a replacement screen really cheap from a scrapped TV, then it is maybe worth you tackling it - keeping in mind something may well go wrong. Otherwise, TV's are so very cheap, they are simply not worth the effort of a major repair, based on the cost of major replacement parts, and the difficulty of sourcing the parts, especially for an older TV. There is a good reason why so many of the one time TV repair businesses went out of business.

Google found me https://www.tvparts.co.uk/lcd-tv-sp.../yd5s550htu01-lcd-panels-for-sony-kd-55x9305c no stock but £300 mark when they were.

Panel availability will be the biggest challenge on a 7-year old set (2014/15 release?).
Screen faults usually result in too expensive to repair on most TVs.

Aha, I didn't know the correct term was LCD Panel, thanks!

If your hobby is one of carrying out such repairs, and you can pick up a replacement screen really cheap from a scrapped TV, then it is maybe worth you tackling it - keeping in mind something may well go wrong. Otherwise, TV's are so very cheap, they are simply not worth the effort of a major repair, based on the cost of major replacement parts, and the difficulty of sourcing the parts, especially for an older TV. There is a good reason why so many of the one time TV repair businesses went out of business.

I was thinking of looking at scrapped TVs next, but you are right - it's not worth the hassle and as @Rodders53 mentioned above, it's such an old TV, I suspect I'll be hard pressed to find a donor unit.

I'll start looking for a replacement 2nd hand unit :)

Sponsored Links
I repair everything, but replacing the lcd panel is not cost effective.
Unless you find a donor tv for cheap.
That sony is very popular, I had the 42 inch version.
If you have taken things apart a few times before, you can do this.
Just be neat with your parts, especially screws and you'll be fine.
When you take the plastic rim off the screen, careful not to break the locking tabs.
Use a very small flat screwdriver to release them one by one starting from a corner and keep the rim lifted by jamming some cardboard under it, then go all the way around.
All the rest comes off easily and connectors are all different, so no chance of getting confused.

My cousins an ex Sony service engineer , he said he has never changed a screen as it’s not a viable repair , easier to damage during the process than repair .

I repair everything, but replacing the lcd panel is not cost effective.
Unless you find a donor tv for cheap.
That sony is very popular, I had the 42 inch version.
If you have taken things apart a few times before, you can do this.
Just be neat with your parts, especially screws and you'll be fine.
When you take the plastic rim off the screen, careful not to break the locking tabs.
Use a very small flat screwdriver to release them one by one starting from a corner and keep the rim lifted by jamming some cardboard under it, then go all the way around.
All the rest comes off easily and connectors are all different, so no chance of getting confused.

Thanks both, the posts above seem to agree with your views. I couldn't find the part so I couldn't really assess the cost/benefit. I'll make do with it for now but keep a lookout for another TV :)

Keep the boards in the back and put them on ebay...

Any monies you get can go towards the replacement tv which ought to have many more features and a better picture than your old one.

The X9305 Sony is a good set, even by current standards. You have a Sony Triluminos display. This is a competitor to Samsung's QLED / LG's Quantum Dot tech, but beats both because Sony used a blue light QD rather than a white with a blue colour filter. It's also a 100Hz panel rather than the standard 50Hz common in most TVs. The higher-end Sony LED TVs also had/have impressive peak brightness output and good black levels.

If you wanted to be picky, the 10-bit colour is done by dithering (8 + 2 FRC) and the lighting system is from the edge rather than being a full array. However, the TV still has dimming capabilities.

Yes, FB selling groups are full of used TVs. Most of them are utter .... rubbish. Cheap TVs when they were new, and so cheap when they're sold on. 50Hz panels, crap brightness, poor local dimming, not Quantum Dot tech, yadda yadda yadda. The X9305 might not be perfect, but then again which TV is? The current model is the Sony 55X90K at £899. What you gain is Dolby Vision HDR.

I can't tell you whether the 9305 is worth repairing because I don't know how much you paid for it and whether you're happy to walk away from that to buy a new telly. There's also the question of finding a panel. What I can say though is that the TV will take some beating, and unless you're exceptionally lucky, it's unlikely you'll find something equivalent in the cheap seats on FB.

I had a quick squint at AVForums TV Classifieds. There's not much that's directly comparable. The nearest thing is a Samsung 55Q90R (2019 model) going for around £600. It's in Hull. On a side note, the guy selling says it has a new panel fitted under warranty. That might be a good ting, but I'd wonder why it needed a new panel in a 3-year-old TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back