Sore head trying to figure out which paint to use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope you can help with this please. I am decorating hall which includes all previously oil based painted doors and skirting. I have prepped these but have previously untreated knots(yellow marks under old paint) and some bare patches of wood that I would like to treat prime. I am thinking of using zinsser cover stain/primer for these stains/patches followed with oil based undercoat and satinwwod. Would this be ok?

I will also be doing the same work on a previously varnished staircase and am thinking of using same products after prep. Would this also be ok?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm running out of paracetemol.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Regarding the knots bleeding through, you would be better off using a pigmented shellac such as zinsser bin, you can also use this to spot prime any bare patches. If you're going to finish in satinwood then no need to undercoat as it is self undercoating, use crown solo satin, two coats and it will look beautiful. As for the varnished woodwork, use the same process, two coats of solo satinwood will give you great results.

Thanks for reply. I've actually got Dulux satinwood, I was going to do one undercoat and one satinwood. Better to forget undercoat, spot prime knots and bare patches with shellac zinsser and do two coats of satinwood then?

That would be fine, although the dulux satinwood is not as good quality as the crown solo.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, if I used dulux and then bought some solo would you notice any difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back