Sorry but.. yet another CH room thermostat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had an old boiler replaced with a new combi and moved to a new room in the house during a kitchen refit. It was a last minute decision to move the boiler, while the kitchen work was already underway so the kitchen company used their own guy to do the work (and changed a premium rate for the rush). Having got an average boiler for my money I was quoted and extra £150 for a digital programmer... which I too exception to for the amount I'd already paid, but anyway, I digress.

Having finally paid off the kitchen (almost) I turned my attention upgrading the room thermostat. Currently fitted I have a basic analogue siemens thermostat RAA02 or similar. Three terminals L, Y1, Y2, connected to L-brown Y1-blue, Y2-yellow. I did some research and it was suggested that these should be live, neutral and switched live if standardly wired. I was aware however that the new room thermostat was using the old wiring from the old boiler so I ought to trace back to the boiler and check they are what I think. On investigation at the boiler end I have brown, blue and earth which disappear under the floor presumably to the old wiring. The boiler manual shows the connection for the room thermostat to have just two terminals, so I presume the third cable will be an actual earth not just the fitter borrowing some t&e to join to the old cable, does that sound right?

I want to replace my old analogue thermostat with a heatmiser PRT (just because I've used this at my old house and wouldn't need to relearn the controls!). This requires its own power so needs a live and neutral. One of the wiring diagrams on the manufacturers website states "volt free switching" and seems to show live and neutral to power the thermostat and connecting the inputs from hte boiler to terminals A1 and A2. Presumably this is a simple switch, as in heating on or heating off?

The electrics questions thus are (finally):

The unit is rated max load 3amp so can I run a spur and fcu to it, from the ring main? The thermostat manual also states max cable site 1.5mm would this be ok or better to stick to std 2.5mm?

If so... I've read that I have to make the fcu acessable, so I take it I couldn't attach it to the joist below the floor with an inspection panel?

It would just be unsightly to put one where the room stat is located so I would have to run the spur from a different socket to hide the fcu away.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I know it's long winded but I thought that would be more polite than just "how'd I do this". Ta

Sponsored Links
I would supply it from the same supply as your boiler is, reason being boiler off, stat dead (as you would expect)
1mm t & e will be fine (after FCU)

Thanks for your reply breezer, the boiler is already on what appears to be a spur from a spur which from reading around here seems is already not acceptable, so I would be hesitant to another spur from this socket. It will have been done like this because there's no access under the tiled floor to any of the other sockets, but I'm sure it's not strictly correct.

What about mounting the fcu to the floor joist would this be a devilish sin? The burglar alarm is already mounted similarly and that was professionally installed so I'm thinking it is probably ok, even if it wouldn't pass todays regulations.

Many thanks in advance.

You don't need another FCU. Consult the wiring diagrams supplied with your boiler. You use the supply from the existing boiler wiring which is fed via the existing FCU.

To add another FCU fed from another supply is dangerous as when the boiler is serviced it will require isolating in two separate places to make it safe. You might know this but Mr Corgi gas engineer won't.

The boiler and all associated controls should be fed from one FCU with a 3A fuse in it.

Sponsored Links
I might be completely wrong here, but from the wiring diagram on the thermostat the boiler terminals are "volt free switching", when the boiler is isolated it will not matter that the thermostat is still live as the supply i'm talking about here here is purely to power the thermostat. The boiler connections being completely independant and on a simple switched circuit in effect?

Apologies in advance for confuddled terminology.

*edit for wiring diagram*

wiring.jpg

It's still dangerous to have to isolate one system from two places, say for example the service engineer (or someone who lives in the house after you) decides to check the operation of the thermostat & isolates the existing FCU, removes the cover from the thermostat and gets a shock.

The diagram you posted by you shows exactly what you should do. Mains supply L N & E is from the FCU. The one and only FCU.

I know that's the ideal method but it means I have a good few days of cable channelling, and making good after, ahead of me. The good news being I just did a dry run (probably frowned upon again) with the above setup and everything worked perfectly. Now that I'm all clued up and tooled up, all I need is good healthy dose of energy and enthusiasm for all this cable routing. I wish that was available from a forum too!! Many thanks for the help anyhow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back