Sorry silly question on bleeding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When bleeding my system I know I should turn off pump but do you only bleed until water starts coming out or until the bubbles stop?? and should the valves be open or closed?

Sponsored Links
Turn off boiler/pump. Doesn't really matter if TRV/handwheel valve is open or not since the valve on the other end will be open.

On an open vented/semi sealed system check the feed and expansion tank (normally in the roof) before bleeding - as it is possible to draw in muck and debris into the system.

On sealed systems eg most combis, system boilers the expansion vessel should be checked since bleeding the air out of the radiators can cause unforeseen problems.

It is a sealed systems (comb) I have, whats the expansion vessel ? sorry new to this had elec heating before

The expansion vessel accomodates the extra volume of water created as the heating system heats up. the vessel is presurised with air. Over time the air pressure within the vessel depletes (and cannot therfore accept the expanded water).

Often air trapped in the top of radiators serves a similar purpose. If the expansion vessel has not been checked for a number of years and you bleed the radiators then re-presurise the system with the filling loop you may find the pressure gauge needle rises to more than 2 Bar with the heating at full temperature. At around 3 bar the safety valve will open causing problems.

The expansion vessel air pressure should therfore be checked. This is a straightforward procedure depending on your competence and the boiler make/model.

Sponsored Links
Hi sorry for the delay its a vokera linear 28 combi boiler and its about two years old the only prob I'm having with the filling loop is that it keeps dropping to one bar Is I tried to fill it to 1.5 but it just keeps dropping to 1??? why do you think this is?

I've just added to new rads to the system and they arent heating thats why I'm asking

If the pressure was ok before you added the radiator then you probably have a leak on the new pipework.

See the faq's on balancing the radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back