sorting a wall out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!

Just about to start fixing up and decorating a room for our forthcoming little 'un - and I wondered if anyone could offer me some advice on getting one of the walls up to scratch?

It looks like the previous owners have painted straight onto new plaster without a mist coat.

(photos attached)

There are two coats of paint - a light one - straight onto the plaster and a more recent lilac coat.

Basically - there are big holes in the paint work - straight through to the plaster (see attached photo), and also patches where the lighter coat had come off, but the lilac had been painted straight onto the plaster too.

I would tackle this by stripping all/as much paint as humanly possible, lightly sanding the plaster, misting, then finishing coats.

Would it be quicker to just re-skim over the whole lot?
Are there any other quicker options?

Photo 1 - (blu-tacked highlighter for scale) - you can see there was no effort to make the paint adhere to the new plaster!

photo2 - patches where the white paint had also come away before being over-painted with the lilac paint [you might need to squint a bit]

Sponsored Links
If the remaining paint is solid, I would use some jointing compound to fill the visible dips, then sand and paint over.

If the whole lot is loose, sounds like it would need to be sanded right back :(

Sponsored Links
I would normally fill and rub down flush and then apply a coat of zinsser gardz, this is a penetrating binder sealer which should solve your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back