Sorting cloakroom pipe work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After some advice on how to handle the pipework in our downstairs cloakroom that I’m looking to start renovating.
Pictures below that I hope help.

The sink will be replaced with a small cloakroom vanity unit.

Of the vertical pipes - the left hand one takes to cold feed to the upstairs and is teed to feed the sink. The cold pipe comes up hidden behind the sink waste pipe.
The right hand pipe is the hot supply that comes down from above.

Are pipes like these allowed to be bent slightly and chased in behind plaster?
Thought I read something about water regs saying not.
They could stay surface mounted and modified to perhaps go below the boxing in at floor level, where can then come through the side of the sink vanity unit. At least at this level the hole would be hidden.
I could box in etc or cover with a plastic cover, but this may look less aesthetically pleasing.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is an inside wall then you could cut a slot to "bury" the pipes in - insulate as best as possible and cover the slot with metal channel. This approach would give you a free surface for tiling etc.
Keep a sketch and note with the house deeds or at the CU.

If possible, always keep the H/W on the left - keep h/w and c/w pipes separate.

A Surface mounted batten covered by a clip-on plastic cover will also work.

Pipe bending is allowed.

Use flex connectors for the basin supplies. All supplies must have accessible isolators..

Thought I read something about water regs saying not.
That's correct for hot and cold, they need to be accessible. Different for radiator pipework.

No need for isolators if you don't want them.

Hot & cold are chased in, and/or are inaccessible in many other instances besides chasing in.
Any plumber would know this.
The practice is given a pass by every BCO or Plumbing Inspector I've encountered.

Isolators are required for all water fixtures - only cowboy's would plumb-in a fixture without supplying it with an isolator.

Sponsored Links
every single new build the hot and colds are behind plasterboard and not accessible so yes acceptable

The easiest thing to do would be to baton the wall and plasterboard over so to create a void to hide the pipes.
You would lose a bit of space in the room though.
Studs would need to be positioned strategically so to fix the vanity unit to something solid rather than plasterboard, although, it's not essential as long fixings into the solid wall could be used.

Any plumber would know this.
Any plumber would/should know the water regs. Hot and could should not be embedded in walls where they can't be readily exposed. Behind tiles wouldn't comply.

7.—(1) No water fitting shall be embedded in any wall or solid floor.

(2) No fitting which is designed to be operated or maintained, whether manually or electronically, or which consists of a joint, shall be a concealed water fitting.

(3) Any concealed water fitting or mechanical backflow prevention device, not being a terminal fitting, shall be made of gunmetal, or another material resistant to dezincification.

(4) Any water fitting laid below ground level shall have a depth of cover sufficient to prevent water freezing in the fitting.

(5) In this paragraph “concealed water fitting” means a water fitting which–

(a)is installed below ground;

(b)passes through or under any wall, footing or foundation;

(c)is enclosed in any chase or duct; or

(d)is in any other position which is inaccessible or renders access difficult.

Isolators are required for all water fixtures
No they aren't. Where is this "requirement"?

Last edited:

No they aren't. Where is this "requirement"?
11. [F31Water systems] shall be capable of being drained down and be fitted with an adequate number of servicing valves and drain taps so as to minimize the discharge of water when water fittings are maintained or replaced. A sufficient number of stopvalves shall be installed for isolating parts of the pipework.

11. [F31Water systems] shall be capable of being drained down and be fitted with an adequate number of servicing valves and drain taps so as to minimize the discharge of water when water fittings are maintained or replaced. A sufficient number of stopvalves shall be installed for isolating parts of the pipework.
I know. So not a "must" at all supplies then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back