Sorting drill holes in wall - suitable filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to see if someone can link me to some suitable filler for this. As you can probably tell from the username, I'm a DIY Donkey.

Without getting in to the embarassing details, we now have various holes in walls as a result of a drill bit. Think it was 6 or 7mm.

So, 2 in the upper section of a window recess in an extension that was built around the year 2000 (I say that because of the difference in wall between this and the next bit)

And about 3 or 4, one of which is a little large, in to a horsehair plastered wall (1930s house).

As well as what kind of plaster, would it need to be gun application? I'm asking as if it's by those spatula-like things (told you DIY Donkey) then that only covers the surface of the hole - where the hole was drilled for a rawl plug, so there'd be a good gap behind the surface fill?

Sponsored Links
Easifill. Apply it with a spatula and squish it into the hole.

Sponsored Links
Any powder based filler will be fine. You do not need the filler to go all the way in to the end of the hole.

Some fillers can be a pig to sand though. I normally stick with Toupret powdered fillers

Other brands will be cheaper.

I mix up the requisite amount of filler in cut up plastic milk bottle, which can be binned afterwards.

If it is a one off job, you can buy cheap filling knives, which you can bin after. The poundshop sells sets for a quid. Actually, they sell a tub of filler for £1.50- I have never used it and never wanted to but...

If you do use the above, try to fill flush. Some premixed fillers can be a pig to sand. You will probably find that as you drag the filling knife over the surface, a slight void will appear at the side of the hole where you first started to drag the knife, that is normal. Once cured (read: dried), you can apply a second coat in the other direction. In an ideal world, you will have minimal sanding.

I would however add that it possible that your drilling "mishaps" have raised the surface of the plaster a bit. I would recommend sanding away and raised sections before trying to fill them. 80 grit sandpaper should be sufficient. A cheap cork sanding block, which you wrap the sand paper around will help. If you haven't got one, you can use a lump of timber.

Be advised that the dust from powder based fillers is a pig to clean up, it sticks to everything, so try to minimise the amount of sanding required, even if you need to fill 3 times. The filler in tubs is often the same, the exception being the lightweight fillers in tubs. The dust is like tiny polystyrene balls that can be hoovered up with ease, eg Redlite

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back