Sorting out a 2-way switch mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a house where the landing lights behave very oddly, indicating incorrect wiring of the 2-way switch.

The arrangement is this : there are 2 lights, and 4 switches . One light is at the top of the stairs, the other at the bottom. The switches are 2 gangs of 2 (ie 2 x 2 way switches)

However, at present, depending on the position of the other switch, its "partner switch" either lights both lights, one light, or none of them!

Also, the lights are supposed to be on seperate lighting rings, however whoever changed the switch now appears to have "bridged" the upstairs and downstairs rings as I have to remove both fuses to isolate either of the lighting circuits!

Im planning to sort this out, but want tips on the best way of tracing which cables go where. I'll post more details on the exact wiring once I've taken some pics. I have a multimeter to test continuity if required.

The house is built in the 70's. Any links to "common" 2 x 2 way switch wiring diagrams would be of help.

Regards,

/Neil/

Sponsored Links
best way to trace a cable is follow it. (not easy)

as for the wiring have a look in for refernce to see how it should be done.

Following the cables will be almost impossible as they are run in the wall cavities (switches are on an external wall)

Tips like : whether removing the bulbs is necessary for doing continuity testing using a multimeter would be helpful.

I've checked the reference section, will see if anything looks familiar once I get the switchplates off.

Cheers,

/Neil/

Post some pics, and we will take it from there.

Pic of behind BOTH switches. Pic of inside BOTH light fittings.

Sponsored Links
Hi all. First post from me.

I would suggest investing in, borrowing or hiring a continuity tester.

Turn the power of and touch the various cables in turn while turning the switches on and off. Eventually you'll be able to identify each ring and each switch circuit. Saves loads of time and is easy to use.

Mine is called Fluke T3 and measures voltage, amp etc. as well.

WillB said:

Turn the power of and touch the various cables in turn while turning the switches on and off. Eventually you'll be able to identify each ring and each switch circuit. Saves loads of time and is easy to use.

to do that, and most other things (except testing) a cheap £10 multimeter will be adequate

WillB said:

sorry total waste of time :!:

you have not mentioned removing the lamps, you have not mentioned dissconecting any thing, all these things will give incorrect readings, sorry but it would seem you have no idea what you are talking about, although you mean well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back