Sottini Shower Bath - legs are wobbly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have purchased a shower bath (P shaped (and the complete suite)) and it is to be fitted across the width of the bathroom. I tried fitting the legs on the rear of the bath (opposite end to the tap), tightened them up and let go, and they buckled straight away, slightly bending the brace bars underneath. I am now greatly concerned about the bath. It appears that the holes the bolts/legs go through, once bolted seem to be too big for them and hence no strength to support the weight when empty.

There are also two clips provided that go under the lip along the wall and come above the top of the bath and will need to be cut into the wall but with the above issue I don't think that will be enough. I would build a frame except for the fact it is a P shape.

So basically ........HEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!

All advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
have you got a pic of these as their are so many different makes and they are all different fixings.

Sponsored Links
how long is between the foot and the 2 nuts on the base ?

are you having the bolts at full lenght ?

that is one that I just grabbed out - it is about 5" long. The instructions say to fit the legs, discard one of them and replace it with a supplied one with a metal foot that has a strap that you fit over it. I have uploaded another photo that shows that under the Shower area there is very little to have the bolts coming through so must be near full length of the foot.

I was fitting them prior to me and two others moving it from the garage upto the bathroom. I have now put this on hold.

Sottini (re-Ideal) do do spares but I am not confident full stop on these. To be honest, I do feel a bit disapointed in the quality of these.

I am also going back to the shop that I purchased it from tomorrow but really need some options as wife is getting exceedingly peeved off!!!

Steve

like you say these have to be nearly fully exstended to fit in the base brackets, therefore they are weaker.

what i useally do is measure the bath panel height. should be about 21"

get two lenghts of 4x2 timber about 24" long.
sit that on the floor one each end then cut the legs down appox 2"

then refit the legs so you get 21" from the floor to the bath rim for your panel.

then when you have it correct mark the bathroom floor screw the timbers down and sit bath on top and secure legs.

your timbers will give you the height and your legs only short.

Yeh looks like the legs are extended too long. Do as the previous poster says and you should have no probs. We install these baths with no probs but I know what you mean about the apparent flimsiness of the support bars.

Hi Guys

thanks for your advice above. I was going to stand it on 18mm ply on top of the floor, I will do as you have suggested but will need to go the length rather than the width due to the Joist direction

I went to the shop today and they had a spare set of braces and legs, which they let me have gratis - which will help with fitting, might double them up to strengthen them with some bond....

Thanks for all the advice.

I did see something about folding wedges on another page. Pity that somebody doesn't make these for this purpose with a screw thread to do the adjustments. May be an idea for somebody!!!!

Cheers

Steve
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back