Sound Advice Regarding Garden Lights Please.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all.

Thanks for your previous advice, i've had an outdoor socket installed and the Kitchen is a week away from normality. Now im planning lighting for my garden, although theres no rush to install anything this time. Its a project I want completed by next summer.

Im researching it now as I'd like to do this job myself if possible, and learn more in the process. Here is a link for the lights I intend to buy from Screwfix. I need two lights, each light has 2 bulbs so its a total load of 140w from 4 x 35w bulbs.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49704...l-Lighting/Stainless-Steel-Up-Down-Wall-Light

The original theoretical plan was to use 2.5mm to wire a Plug to the first light, loop 2.5mm to the second light, and terminate. I planned to simply plug the lights into the new socket, but now im considering having an outdoor Switch installed with power from the Socket, and then hardwiring the two lights directly to the switch (1 way) that seems like a more professional and safer finish.

I understand this will be notifiable under Part P, so as long as I feel confident doing the job I'll do it myself and have the Council come out and inspect my work. Otherwise I'll call the electrician back and watch how they do it.

Thats the scenario, what I'd like to know is regardless of if I use a plug or if I hardwire the two lights, what size cable will I need if im installing those two lights along a max 20m run ? I thought 2.5mm would be plenty because its thicker then the 1.5mm used for my interior lighting, but apparently 2.5 wouldn't be sufficient. This is where im confused. 6mm seems to be more appropriate from what Ive read, but thats the same size as the Cooker Circuit - can that be right for powering 4 bulbs in my Garden on a 20m run?

I've received excellent advice on here, what im after now is for someone to explain why wiring these lights "seem" to require thicker cable? For instance, ages ago an electrician installed our security light with a 20w bulb. That light uses a thin cable (I think its 1.5 or 1.25) with a plug added on the interior side of the wall. Its around 7m in length.

Obviously, the 140w I need makes the difference in cable size, so what size cable should I be looking at for my new garden lights ? I'll be running the cable above ground in PVC conduit btw. (seperate query - the cable for the security light doesn't have any conduit btw, should it ?)

Cheers Fellas.

Sponsored Links
If the cable is being run underground outside then SWA would be the best option, although this requires terminating properly and this may be more difficult if you are running it from an outside socket. Have a look here for information on cable selection. You're not running much power here but need to be aware of volt drop over the length of the cable.

You may find it cheaper to get a spark to complete this job instead of notifying it to the council - depending on how much your LABC charge.

Edit: Just seen the link to the light. SWA will be overkill if the cables aren't going underground. Something like hi-tuf may be more appropriate.

I understand this will be notifiable under Part P, so as long as I feel confident doing the job I'll do it myself and have the Council come out and inspect my work.

I think you may change your mind when you see their charges. In Wales it is a £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work.

All well and good if you are re-wiring your house £100 to have the work inspected is reasonable but for small jobs just not worth it. Call back your electrician seems best option.

Sponsored Links
- BAS

Well, long story short, I ORIGINALLY assumed 2.5 would be more then ok until I saw websites such as the one below with a "maximum distance" table showing that 2.5 wasn't sufficient for 140w over 20 meters. Unless of course, I've read the table wrong ? Can I 2.5mm be used for the job in my post ?

http://www.allweatherlighting.co.uk/technicalinformation.htm

Although its been generally helpful, the basic electric equations I've been reacquainting myself with haven't really shown me how I'd work out what size cable I'd require for a 20 meter run. For the benefit of pointing me in the right direction, how would I calculate the correct cable size ?

Right now im more interested in learning the maths and getting my head around it - the load will be 140w, I assume the voltage will be 240v, which means the current should be 0.58 amps, but umm, what would I calculate next to ascertain the correct cable ?

- Ericmark

typical :confused: well, I guess I will call the electrcian back. Still havin't spoken to the council yet, because the webpage on the council site doesn't open :rolleyes: you couldn't make it up. Thanks for the heads up on the price, thats ridiculous considering the scope of the legislation. why am I not surprised.....

Cheers Fellas.

Yep, you've read the tables wrong. They assume that you are distributing at 12V, not the 230V your lamps need.

That means they are assuming the current for a given lamp power (W) is 19 times greater than the current for your 230V lamps. Also they have assumed you can tolerate an 8% voltage drop. BS7671 allows a 3% volt drop for lighting but as your lights are 230V this equates to 6.9V, not the 1V in their tables.

In a nutshell, you should multiply the lengths in that table by 130 to get the maximum length to suit your proposals. Your initial view of 2.5mm would be more than adequate, so too would be 1.5mm

The original theoretical plan was to use 2.5mm to wire a Plug to the first light

Not sure joining a plug to inflexible 2.5mm cable is a good plan plugs are designed to take flexible round cable and 2.5mm T&E isn't designed to flex (same is true of 1mm and 1.5mm T&E too).

To be honest I think you'd probably be better off just calling in a professional.

For your interest 2.5mm drops 18mV per amp per meter so at 1 amp over 20 meters drop is 0.36 volts.

See here for other sizes.

And yes price is daft I wrote to MP and seems there is a review under way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back