Simple Outdoor Garden Light Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm planning on installing an outdoor garden light (lamp post type with three 60w bulbs). It will simply be wired with a 3 amp plug, as don't wish to wire it permanently into the lighting circuit. I already have the socket available right at the consumer unit which is handy. I'm just uncertain of the requirements of running the cable and which accessories are needed to protect the cable. The run will be no more than a few metres from the consumer unit. I've prechecked for continuity of all three bulbs including the Earth. Any advice would be vey much appreciated. Thanks.

View media item 108092

Sponsored Links
You don't say where you live, things like Part P are different England and Wales, Bladgon did a kit to get around the Welsh Part P laws, not sure if still done, in the main for a garden lighting system you want class II fittings i.e. does not need an earth, and cool running, any lamp which heats up and cools down on cooling down can suck in water, having a small hole at bottom helps, as does using LED rather than tungsten.

You don't say where you live, things like Part P are different England and Wales, Bladgon did a kit to get around the Welsh Part P laws, not sure if still done, in the main for a garden lighting system you want class II fittings i.e. does not need an earth, and cool running, any lamp which heats up and cools down on cooling down can suck in water, having a small hole at bottom helps, as does using LED rather than tungsten.
Hi Eric, sorry forgot to mention I'm from England. I've already got the lamp post, bought new in 2002. It's IP rated, I'll check numbers tomorrow and report back. Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
View media item 108094View media item 108093Looks like it could be class II rated? So I don't need any protection, i.e conduit, where the cable flex is exposed, just clip direct to wall? Ideally, I was hoping for conduit along the whole run, but I couldn't find any 90 degree fittings where the cable bends into the wall, which is odd. Or do you think it's not necessary for any conduit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back