Sound Deadening Plasterboard and Sound Insulation - OTT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Built a stud wall.. On one side of the wall is a bathroom and on the other side of the wall is a bedroom.

I will fill the studs with 100mm Rockwool Sound Insulation

But am I being OTT by using sound deadening plasterboard on one side of the stud wall (with the other side having regular plasterboard?

Or is it perfectly fine to just use regular plasterboard on both sides

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When we had an architect split our office up once, he specified two layers of regular plasterboard on one side with sound deadening in the stud wall. We never heard anything from the next office.

Build a stud wall.. On one side of the wall is a bathroom and on the other side of the wall is a bedroom.

I will fill the studs with 100mm Rockwool Sound Insulation

But am I being OTT by using sound deadening plasterboard on one side of the stud wall (with the other side having regular plasterboard?

Or is it perfectly fine to just use regular plasterboard on both sides
@Mottie

Just so that I am clear, did your architect specify regular plasterboard on both sides of the studs and then sound deadening insulation (like rockwool) between the studs?

No. Double layer of regular plasterboard on our side, single layer of regular on the other, sound deadening in the stud wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back