Sound for hard of hearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new TV, but it has no 3.5 jack for my wireless headphones. It has Bluetooth & Optical Audio. I bought a pair of Bluetooth headphones and they are great. Trouble is the wife cannot hear the TV speakers. So when I switch to "Bluetooth & Speakers", I can hardly hear the headphones without turning the TV volume up to an unacceptable level. Wondering if things would be easier with the Optical Sound outlet. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Have you got something that can test the optical sound output use does not mute the speakers?

Try a pair of RF headphones as they do not need pairing as bluetooth ones do (they are already paired to the base) and you can get them that use the optical input.
I plan on doing this myself eventually.

I have a pair of Sennheizer wireless, not great and an old IR set which are better. But cannot be connected to this TV as they only have 3.5 input. I noticed today when I use Bluetooth alone the sound is terrific for such cheap head phones. But when I switch to Bluetooth Surround + internal Speakers the Headphones are cut off. I thought it was that the sound in the Headphones was low, but there is no sound at all. Will talk to the Maker tomorrow.What headphones use the Optical Audio?

Just bought a new TV, but it has no 3.5 jack for my wireless headphones ......... Any ideas please?

Do you know that there are Optical to analogue stereo convertors?

Here's something simple and inexpensive: Simple DAC - £9.99

Here's one with a volume control so you can set a level going to the headphones: Volume and headphone output £13.99

Just be aware that these take power from a USB socket, normally one on the TV. But not all USB power sockets have enough current to drive these convertors properly. The user manual/eHelp for your TV, or the signage on the sockets might tell you which one(s) have the highest mA rating. You should also be able to find adaptors in both versions that come with mains wall wart power supplies which takes away any guess work on the USB socket power levels.

All that's left then is to get the signal from the convertor to the headphones. Depending on which unit you buy (if you go this route, of course), then you'll need either a stereo RCA-to-3.5mm jack cable like this, or a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm jack cable such as this.

Was this post useful? Did it help you? If so, please click on the THANKS button. This is a great way to show your appreciation. and it's quick and easy too. The thanks button appears when you hover your mouse over the Multi-quote and Quote buttons.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Talked to LG the TV co. , and they say it is designed for Bluetooth Speakers so I cannot use headphones & Speakers at the samee time. She said my headphones are probably 2.0 but that they should be 5.1 or 7.1 whatever she meant by that. I have ordered th DAC converter. Thanks again.

Thanks. Talked to LG the TV co. , and they say it is designed for Bluetooth Speakers so I cannot use headphones & Speakers at the samee time. She said my headphones are probably 2.0 but that they should be 5.1 or 7.1 whatever she meant by that. I have ordered th DAC converter. Thanks again.
I had that issue, but I have Samsung TV & you can use bluetooth as well as TV speakers. It took a bit of gooogle to find how but it worked. Follows is how Samsung works.
=======
Sound from BLUETOOTH & SPEAKERS on TV If you have a SKY, Virgin Media, BT TV, Blu-Ray player connected, the Multi-Audio Output will be disabled. Follow these steps to hard-of-hearing happier viewing FIRST: Pair your Bluetooth HeadphonesTurn on your Bluetooth headphones & on your TV remote: Press the MENU button/ select SOUND/ select SPEAKER LIST / select BLUETOOTH AUDIO DEVICES / select your Bluetooth headphones from the list and they will pair & connect. You will hear sound ONLY on your Bluetooth headphones. 1. Press SOURCE on your TV remote and select TV which takes you OFF your SKY / Virgin Media box and onto FREEVIEW !! This step is VERY IMPORTANT !! 2. PRESS the MENU button on your Samsung Remote Control to access your TV's settings. 3. Scroll down to and select SYSTEM 4. Select ACCESSIBILITY 5. You WILL now see "Multi-output Audio" is enabled, so NOW select it and change from OFF to ON. The sound WILL now be audible through BOTH the TV Speakers AND your Bluetooth headphones. NO AUDIO TIME DELAY Now all you need to do is press SOURCE & go back to select your SKY / Virgin Media & sound comes from TV Speakers AND Bluetooth headphones in PERFECT HARMONY !!

Thanks for thatDiyisfun butI have found nothing in the Menues that herp. TI have a Firestick connected nothing else. Been through every corner of the Menu/Settings. Will try the web maybe i'll get lucky like you.

I've just seen that a suggestion that it's posssible to connect a Bluetooth Transmitter to the Optical audio port. Any ideas on this?

You should be able to connect your Bluetooth headphones to the Firestick and then just listen to the tv through that. The TV speakers should still be active and you can adjust your volume through your headphones.

For anyone interested these are the Headphones. I have had about 5 sets, different makes, but these are the best. I paid good money for a Geemarc which went to 125db as i remember but never again
OneOdio A70 Bluetooth Headphones Over Ear, 50 Hrs Playtime, Stereo Wireless&Wired Headset with CVC6.0 Mic, Professional Studio Monitor Mixing Headphones for TV/PC/Phone

Last edited:
Mottie: tried that but for some reason the Stick cannot find the Headphones but will keep trying.

Last edited:
Thin I had one Remote too many today........ I thought it was working but no. I'll switch everything off Tonight and start fresh in the morning

The Adaptor came, works fin with my old IR Headphone, can mute the TV and still have sound. Excellent. Lots of wires...so much for "Smart" Tvs. Thank you all. Problem solved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back