Sound from toilet pan transmitting to neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs neighbour after over one year since installation, has mentioned that he can hear me pee through their ceiling in multiple rooms.

I have listened and I agree you can hear a kind of gurgling when you pour water into the pan, but not when you flush.

He suggested the toilet has been cemented to the floor and that is transmitting.

He recommended that a rubber pad could be fitted under to stop this.

Question is: is this the likely solution.
If it is cemented as suggested will it be a massive pain to remove the pan... The floor is tiled but without removing sealant I can't tell if tiles have been cut away or if the the pan is fitted on top of tiles.

Thought? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not recommended to set pans on Mortar anymore, normal practice should be to screw the pan down using Brass or plated screws that wont rust. I would be more concerned in the short term about the fact he can hear you, I would have expected suitable fireproofing to be installed between floors, which would also act as a noise barrier.

What type of Building is it?

It's a purpose built flat will solid concrete floors in between. I was surprised when I was told, can't normally hear anything between flats.

There is a story that when Marilyn Monroe met her future husband’s family, she asked to go to “powder her nose”
She was mortified to find that the bathroom was directly above the living room, so ran the taps to mask her having a pee.
she came back down and everything went well

Later on, the fiancé said to his dad, “what do you think? Beautiful girl huh?

his dad replied, “ sure, But she ****es like a goddam horse!”

Sponsored Links
As suggested it's usually down to missing soundproofing but if it's a concrete floor then that would be a trial and error, it is unusual though

The other option would be to use a pan that has an internal platform so you don't pee directly into the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back