Sound Insulate Party Wall - to stop noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to sound insulate the party wall between me and my neighbour because we can hear muffled voices and their movement of furniture, and their footsteps when we are downstairs and they are upstairs.

The party wall is made of brick, plastered smooth and clean.
Are 12.5mm plasterboards going to block much sound?
What can I do to block their footsteps noise from coming through to my house?

Please help with suggestions and the costs because I need some peace and quiet at home after an awful day at work!

Many thanks,

MG

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard will not help much. Soundproofing wadding and a new partition wall is about the only way. Stuffing wadding between the joists may help a little with footsteps.

Alternatively, sell up and buy a detached house.

There may be a small improvement, but not significant.

Only simple ( but not necessarily easy ) thing that may help is looking for actual gaps in brickwork which would then need to be filled with plaster/mortar. These most likely around plug-sockets and certainly around the joists but need to take up floor to check that.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do, you'll end up making your own rooms smaller as you'll have to insulate from your own side - you may want to try sttaching battens to the party wall with 2.4's, filling the void with sound deadening materials and then finishing off with plywood accross the front of the battens and sound deadening materials.

Once done, you'll have to plaster over the plywood and decorate to taste.

Have a look on google from sound deadening materials - lots of things will come up.

How far are you prepared to go? Joe is right - there are no simple answers. There's plenty of help here but we need to know what level of works, effort. cost you are prepared to go to first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back