Sound insulating a shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bathro...p-66-2-0-Bar-Centrifugal-Shower-Pump-10026459

Got one of these fitted today and, whilst there is minimal vibration, the actual pump motor itself is very loud and, as it is in the airing cupboard next to my sons room, I am worried it will waken him when I am up early for work and take a shower.

With that in mind, I was thinking of using some MDF and acoustic foam to enclose the pump to try and reduce some of the noise - does anyone know if the above pump will need ventilation? There will be some ventilation anyway where the pipes enter the box but will that be enough or should I just leave it as is and hope my son doesn't waken?

Thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
You were badly advised.
Unvented cylinder would have been blissfully quiet. No noisy pump.

You were badly advised.
Unvented cylinder would have been blissfully quiet. No noisy pump.

That doesnt surprise me at all- from a shower which was floating 1/2 inch off the ground with tiles used to try and bridge the gap to a toilet which leaked to plastering which my 15 month old could have done better we have had more of our fair share of dodgy builders, plumbers and bathroom fitters!

That said I need to try and make the most of what we have - I found a company online selling showrr pump sound insulation kits and it seemed like the best option in the circumstances but I dont know if it needs venting.

Sponsored Links
Look at the wattage of the motor and decide how you are going to remove that amount of heat.

An electric fan with cold air ducted in from the outside and expelling to the outside would suffice. But you will need an interlock to ensure the pump cannot operate unless there is an airflow!

OR.... dont enclose it !

Kids are not sensitive to noise when sleeping! When I was 7-11 we lived beside a railway. The 0654 train did not wake me but the 0710 did because that was the time for me to wake up for school !

Tony

Hi

we were concerned about the same issue when we had our shower pump fitted late last year, but we can turn the pump off, and go back to the original flow rate, which was useable, but not great - fortunately it hasn't happened yet that we've needed to do this.

Tony

Kids are not sensitive to noise when sleeping! When I was 7-11 we lived beside a railway. The 0654 train did not wake me but the 0710 did because that was the time for me to wake up for school !

Tony
Ah! The days of Steam ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back