Sound insulation for bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is wordy, but I want to give an accurate picture of my problem.

My flat = 1960s conversion in Victorian house. Tiny bathroom being refurbished with Council grant, a shambles so far and I am severely restricted as to choices.

Immediately on top of the floorboards were (approx) half-inch thick insulating tiles, they looked rather like papier mache made from cardboard instead of paper. These have been removed but the remains are visible where they've been cut off in the doorway, so you can see they were a substantial thickness.

The plumbers partially covered the floor with tacked-down sheets of very thin hardboard on top of the (gappy) floorboards (through which can been seen the downstairs neighbours' ceiling lights - the plumbers caused a leak I had to clean dirty water from their bathroom floor and toilet seat cover).

The contractor plans to complete the coverage of the floorboards with a bit more thin hardboard, then put a layer of screed and then the Polysafe flooring on top.

Flooring = http://www.polyflor.com/JH/SampleBook.nsf/PHP?OpenForm&ProdCode=FXSC149&Shade=4370&

Is there a modern equivalent to the cardboard insulation tiles that could go under this flooring? I am very anxious indeed to prevent noise nuisance to neighbours as well as to have comfortable flooring underfoot.

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
clemenzina
Is it a council property now ??????
if yes

Not a lot you can do , sorry :(

if private owned get , different tradesmen for quotes /materials you like ! :)

It's not and never has been council property, but I got a home improvement grant plus loan from the Council - they decided what I could have done, they put out the works for tender, I cannot change the contractor. The person at the Council who is 'supervising' is on holiday.

I would like to be able to suggest what can replace the insulation that has been removed, was hoping someone here might be familiar with this type of flooring and what can be done in old flat conversions without taking floorboards up.

clemenzina

clemenzina
with you saying it was a council grant I thought it was council or ex council , your best plan of attack is too speak to who ever is supervising while this clerk of works is off on holiday , :)

Sponsored Links
I think I've had a mini victory - they're saying they will put down insulating underlay, then ply, then screed/sticky stuff, then the Polysafe...

...next week. My tiny bathroom has taken over month and still not finished :(

Thanks, Moz :)

clemenzina

clemenzina
I am really pleased you got a good result , ;)

"taken over month and still not finished"
SHAMEFUL , !!!!
its a damn nuisance you cannot get your own tradesmen in though :(

Just Keep a good eye on them as they do "finally" finish it , :) :)

cheers
moz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back