lip/ledge from travetine flooring to carpet outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read quite a few threads, but haven't come across this question.

I'm putting a travertine floor in my bathroom, which is at the moment is normal floorboards with very thin hardboard over the top. I realise that I need to put plywood down first, then flexible adhesive and grout.

My questions are what is the minimum thickness of ply I should use on the floor, and how do you 'finish' the inevitable step from the floor which has plywood, then adhesive then thick tiles, to the normal carpeted hall?

thanks

Sponsored Links
cheers

doesn't that first example go from higher carpet to lower tile?

Both products linked will have a certain amount of leeway either way - they'll lean one way or the other to suit different levels.
B&Q do the second trim for about £7.50 for enough to do i doorway or £15 for a length that'll do 3. If you go down this route, you must use a block or wood to squash the trim down though - don't be tempted to just belt it with a mallet or you'll end up breaking a tile. And yes that is the voice of experience. And yes I did swear a bit at the time. ;)

Sponsored Links
okey cheers.

it's a job i'm a slightly daunted by so all tips are helpful!

No worries. Just remember, floor tiling is dead easy as long as you know what you're doing. Ask lots of questions and make sure you're confident before you start and you'll enjoy doing it.

i've got the massive collins diy book which gives quite detailed instructions.

Hi

you mentioned the Collins DIY book - is that the title? Im about to have a go at laying travertine and the book sounds like a good guide? Any tips on good sources for 'how to's' for travertine would be great. thanks for your help!

Cheers
F

collins complete diy manual.

no specific travertine guide, but it does tell you how to tile amongst many many things!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back