sound insulation for solid nail down wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install solid wood flooring to my upper floor bedrooms and want to minimise any noise due to walking and other activities.

I have been advised that if I install it using nail-down method, any sound insulation material would be wasted since the nails would transfer noise to the wood plank subfloor. The alternative is to install it as a floating floor - but is this a good installation method for solid wood floors?

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Its not the nails that would be the problem, its the transmission of energy from a persons heel to the wooden floor, which is why carpets are generally preferred for upstairs rooms.

Think about it this way - if you struck a frying pan with a hammer, it would make a hell of a clang. Put a towel in the frying pan, and it makes much less noise. The towel is basically doing what the carpet does on a floor.

Sponsored Links
what kind of scarey cooking do you do in your kitchen? I use a fish slice with a frying pan!!!!!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back