Sound Insulation in between joists and studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am renovating my place and as part of this, ceiling boards are coming down and there are a few new partitions separating bedrooms. I thought that it was a good opportunity to introduce some sound protection. I have done some research and can see that there are extreme lengths (and cost) that one can go to. I can't afford this but would like to know what is sensible and effective in my situation.

I have already decided that i will use sound boards on the studwalls so the question really relates to what I stuff the stud walls and floor joists (separating upstairs and downstairs) with. I can see that there are special sound slabs too but the other option seems to be to use loft insulation and pack out the voids with this. I appreciate that this may not be as effective but I am unsure on the cost v value argument.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could look at what the building regs require for new builds, as a guide. For example, for internal walls they say either:

(A) min 2 layers plasterboard of density at least 10kg/m^2 each side, min 75mm studs, no insulation.
(B) min 1 layer plasterboard of density at least 10kg/m^2 each side, min 75mm studs, and min 25mm of mineral wool with a density of at least 10kg/m^3 (i.e. "loft insulation").

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468870/ADE_LOCKED.pdf
Section 5.

You can find their requirements for floors & ceilings there too.

If you want to improve on that you need to maximise the mass of material, so regular loft insulation will be significantly less effective than acoustic insulation; typical densities are around 12 kg/m^3 for regular vs. 60 kg/m^3 for acoustic. One alternative to acoustic mineral wool is wood fibre batts. I've not looked at proces recently.

You will quickly reach a point where doors, cut-outs for sockets and switches, and details at floor/wall junctions, become more important than the main construction.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back