Sound problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this qualifies as a hardware problem.
I have a W10 desktop, about 4 years old. Speakers and webcam worked fine until a few days ago. Also worked on a previous computer. Now both stopped working.
Under Sounds in Settings, it says no input or output devices found.
I know the speaker is OK as it works on a different computer. I've run the troubleshooter but it doesn't come up with anything. I've re-done the webcam setup, but no better.
Anybody any ideas? Could it be due to a recent W10 automatic update meaning they're no longer compatible?

Suggestions gratefully received!

Edit - when I try to turn on the webcam, message says Webcam in use by another application, but it isn't

Is there a clue that both have failed at the same time?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks, the only device managers OI can find are in Settings, and I've tried everything I can think of there. Is that what you mean?

Yep, look down the list, for an item with a yellow triangle mark on it, to suggest an issue with it.

Sponsored Links
Yep, look down the list, for an item with a yellow triangle mark on it, to suggest an issue with it.
I found a yellow triangle in one of the troubleshooting reports, clicked registry.log.txt and got a whole list. Then some link enable option came up, which I clicked, but now it's gone I know not where, and Sounds-settings still says no input or output devices found. Maybe if I restart it might do something but I'm not optimistic. Thanks anyway.

Thanks guys for the suggestions but no joy.
Couple of things I find odd. One that the speakers and webcam both became unrecognised at the same time. Then that the speakers don't work. The webcam is on a USB port, and needed a set-up disc, but the speakers just plug into an audio socket and been fine till now. I don't know whether speaker would have been shown on output devices as I never needed to look.
Re-done output troubleshoot and it says nothing connected. Perhaps there's a broken connection, but that wouldn't explain the webcam.
Maybe time for a new computer, it's getting a bit slow and temperamental.

Webcam- have you checked mfr website for an updated setup or driver.
Sound card- (if you are plugging speaker into a 3.5mm socket then its the sound card playing up) have a look in the BIOS, make sure it is enabled. Then see if you can see it in Device Manager- if yes with yellow triangle then follow the steps for update driver.

Webcam- have you checked mfr website for an updated setup or driver.
Sound card- (if you are plugging speaker into a 3.5mm socket then its the sound card playing up) have a look in the BIOS, make sure it is enabled. Then see if you can see it in Device Manager- if yes with yellow triangle then follow the steps for update driver.
Thanks for that. In Device Manager there is Intel(R) Display Audio, but it says it's the latest. I found Microsoft Systems Management BIOS driver, but it says it's working properly, and latest update.
One development - I rebooted (if that's the word) W10, and now the webcam (Logitech) is recognised in Settings input, but still nothing in output. In Skype, the camera works, probably the mike does but can't be sure as no speaker.

Thanks for that. In Device Manager there is Intel(R) Display Audio, but it says it's the latest. I found Microsoft Systems Management BIOS driver, but it says it's working properly, and latest update.
One development - I rebooted (if that's the word) W10, and now the webcam (Logitech) is recognised in Settings input, but still nothing in output. In Skype, the camera works, probably the mike does but can't be sure as no speaker.
I meant check in the motherboard BIOS. (So power off fully, power on, press F2 or whatever key combination gets into your BIOS (this is BEFORE Windows loads), have a look in there.
Screenshot (or take a pic with yr phone) of Device Manager wld be handy

Sorry not to reply before, I didn't get an email and just noticed yours.
Tried some of that, F2 doesn't seem to do anything. I got into stuff on BIOS via the Search box, but modifying it looks complicated (and possibly risky). As I said, clicking in device manager. it says BIOS driver is working properly, and latest update. Odd that everything was fine until it wasn't, without me changing anything.
Photo of device manager attached.

Attachments

• Device manager screenshot.jpg
    Device manager screenshot.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 43
Tried some of that, F2 doesn't seem to do anything. I got into stuff on BIOS via the Search box, but modifying it looks complicated (and possibly risky).

If you upset it, there is always the option to restore to the default settings.

Sponsored Links
Back