Sound proofing cellar room (ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please correct me if this post is in the wrong place.

I want to make a 'room within a room' in my cellar, to put drums inside.

I wondered if I could make a Gyproc box. It would not have any wooden/metal frame to keep the box together. Literally just sheets of Gyproc maybe box jointed, glued and screwed together.

The finished box will follow the contours of the cellar, so go upwards following the stairs (this will allow enough space for me to stand at one end).

As the cellar is such a weird shape i decided the 'room within a room' might be a good idea. (rather than me mounting Plasterboard to the walls etc).

I am no handyman so that's why i'm thinking to make the box out of one material, to keep it simple (hopefully!).

Is this possible/a reasonable idea? Would the sheets hold together? (doesn't need to be indestructible, just to stay there once made).

They recommend at least two layers of Gyproc, with some Rokwool inbetween. So ideally I would probably like to line the inside of the finished box with this.

It doesn't need any holes for electrics or ventilation. I'm not planning to spend long amounts of time in there! Once the door is closed, I would like it to be completely sealed. (Just because I know any hole in your soundproofing can completely ruin it's soundproofness!)

The door I was thinking to simply cut out of the front panel.

There are two meters pictured. One of them is a disused Gas one which will be removed. The other one is water.

I'm hoping this idea isn't too ridiculous, but please tell me if it is...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Olie

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back