sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just got some new neighbours and there a bit loud at night in the bedroom [if you know what i mean] ;) ;) ;) so i m thinking of putting a stud wall on to the single block wall putting polystyrene in it then plasterboarding will this work?? or is there any other options apart from just listening [novelty wears off after awhile]

Sponsored Links
have a look under the floor. Where it is not plastered, there may be gaps in the brickwork, and badly mortared joints. Any gaps let noise through. Pack these in with mortar, then lay some dense mineral wool bats (heavier than loft insulation) to fill the space between floorboards and ceiling. Polystyrene is too light. Do the same in the loft, brickwork that is out of sight is often very carelessly built.

If there are old fireplaces/chimneybreasts, the brickwork between your flue and the neighbours may only be 4" thick, and gappy.

If you have room, consider a built in, wall-to wall, floor-to ceiling wardrobe. The hanging clothes will absorb airbourne sound, and the gap and doors will block more. Well-packed bookshelves are also good.

Sound will come through any gaps.

If you are drylining, the heavier the plasterboard the more effective it will be. the frame should be isolated from the wall and fixed at floor and ceiling. Again use dense batts behind the plasterboard.

Try singing, coughing, listening to radio etc so your neighbours are aware of the problem. With luck they will also decide to soundproof their wall

Otherwise, wait until they have been living together for a while, and the passion
727_love031.gif
will probably die down
bed.gif

If you decide to dry line, make sure that you get the special sound-proofing plasterboard for extra effect. The side of this board that you don't apply the plaster to is rubber coated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back